HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimeelou94

Hi Guys, I'm new to this but really need some help!
I got my baby Dolly Dragon last week from a rescue with her setup. I was told she had no health problems and had the full correct setup. She started off fine, very friendly, loved wrapping up in my dressing gown and sleeping on me for hours. However, over the last few days she has started displaying a black bears and barely pood (so we removed her bedding, have been bathing her on a daily basis and giving her more fruit and less insects) and over the last day or two she has started puffing her beard up, opening her mouth and got a yellow tinge to her. I've also noticed her bulb isn't a correct uvb so I'm not sure how long she's gone without it. I'm considering taking her to the vets but thought I'd ask you guys opinion first! Please help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
More information needed .

How much does she (?) weigh ? ( full body weight in grams , how often do you weight the dragon ?)
(show us what she looks like from side and from above)

What bedding was she on ?
( Show us photo of the stuff ).

What are the temperatures in the tank at the following places
basking spot ( surface or air temperature ) ?
warm end of tank (air temperature ) ?
cool end of tank (air temperature ) ?
Show us the thermometer / s used .

Lights
what is the basking globe ? ( photo )
, be very specific
= brand,
= type,
= colour,
= wattage

UV source ? ( photo )
be very specific
= brand ,
= type ( curly, T8 linear, T5 linear, MVB ) ,
= UVB rating ,
= wattage ,
= reflector or reflector hood or reflector dome ,
= above or below mesh lid , =
distance from globe or tube to the basking spot

How long ago was last poo ?

Diet ( be precise and accurate )
Feeding schedule ( be as detailed as possible , when are the scheduled feeds, what are these different feeds )
do you give suppliments ( ie calcium and vitamins by dusting insects , how often and how heavy is the dusting)

When do turn the lights and heat on ?
and when are the lights turned off ?

exactly what are you using to get these temperatures (show us photo if thermometer).

Other animals in house ? do they have access to dragon ?
Other people in house ? could there have been an "accident" ?

Have you looked up the local REPTILE VET ? ( in case you need to have the dragon visit for an assessment ( very good idea IMO anyway ).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Aimee, are you positive that Dolly is a female ? Here's how to tell, pictures follow the short article:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Can you post pics of the entire set up , including lights ? Also what exact type of uvb lights you have and how you are reading the temps. You'll need to get her a good uvb ASAP, like a Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12 %. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Aimeelou94

Original Poster
Hi Guys, I will get some pictures tomorrow.

I have removed all the bedding, it was bark chippings. I was told in a local pet store it would be perfect but she ate some (which was apparent in her last poo) so I removed it all. Currently she has got a hide, a log, two slates, a water bowl and a feeding dish. I need to get her some more stuff.

I was told by the rescue she was a female, I have checked myself but have never sexed a dragon before.

Her current heat is at 98°f and is switched on in the morning, she comes out at some points during the day and is switched off overnight. This is what I was told she is used to so have kept her routine so far. She doesn't have a uvb currently as the one I was told had come with her was just a plain white bulb (really p****d off if I'm honest)

She isn't a massive fan of greens so has been having apples, pear, grapes and the odd slice of banana. She also has crickets which have been fed a calcium jelly to boost hers and mealworms. I have sized the crickets up to make sure they aren't too big. She has 10 crickets a day, and 5 mealworms.

Her last proper poo was about 8 days ago, I have found a bit in her tank since but this had bedding in hence why I removed it.

We only have an Axolotl and no kids. Just me and my husband. She did start puffing her beard at him from the start so he doesn't have much contact with her

She has been having daily baths to try and move her bowels but to no avail. I'm not sure what else to do apart from take her to the vets. She seems fine in herself until these displays start and I'm keeping a strict schedule food wise and keeping an eye on her bowels.

There are no new lumps or bumps on her and she is quite happy to lay with me still, and runs around happily when out of her tank... Just want her to poo and feel better ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Try giving her 0.3ml of olive oil orally by eye dropper , or needleless syringe ( better if it's got a nozzle built in or a cone nozzle attached see this for gear
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

, this generally goes through in a day or two and lubricates the plumbing, another 0.3ml olive oil in 24 hours.

If she's been ingesting chips of bark there is a chance she's got a blockage , hopefully it'll shift.

A visit to reptile vet is in order if she's still not pooing at the end 14 days from the last known poo.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well 8 days isn't that long for an adult to go w/out a poo so that's not a real problem. If you see her actually straining + unable to go, then that's a problem though. Is that happening ? And how often is her beard black ? BTW, fruit is not too good because of all the sugar so keep offering the greens rather than fruit. To help her poo, you might try this : put her in warmer than usual bath that is deep enough that she almost has to swim [ unless she's not very mobile, then be sure she can stand in it ] Be sure to pat her dry + put her back in the tank afterwards. You might also try baby food squash, prunes, green beans to help move her bowels, some people would add a few drops of olive oil. If she doesn't poo within the next few weeks you might opt for a vet visit but these tricks usually work.

Aimeelou94

Original Poster
I will get a syringe from work, I did try putting olive oil on her nose for her to lick off but she didnt so much as flinch ??‍♀️

What are the best greens for them? I've tried her with kale, cabbage leaves, and a mix I got from the pet shop. She has a tiny bit and turns her nose up.

I'm ordering her uvb light tonight but need the full shabang, any ideas on the best one that won't break the bank but gives her what she needs?

She's two btw

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did you try the baby food ? They may lick that up because it tastes better. Repta boost as well. Try the warmer bath, too. Warmer than usual can really help. The best rated long tube uvb are the Reptisun 10.0 t5 and the Arcadia D3 12 -14 %. Or you can go with a MVB that offers both heat + uvb in the same bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dont buy from the pet shop your greens --- go to grocery store and buy fresh---- no more cabbage -- mustard turnip or collard -- squash yellow zuchinni or butter nut-- lay off the fruit - too much sugar and only once in awhile--- the UVB is crucial --- Reptisun 10.0 either the T 8 or the T 5 -- both have distance restrictions so please ask --- after you get one -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it becomes longer than 14 days since last poo, cut the solids and convert over to pureed sloppy foods as solids will only build up in the gut and putrify inside her and have the potential of making her VERY SICK .

Liquid / sloppy foods are more likely to move past any blockage.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Aimeelou94":98yinuyv said:
Hi Guys, I'm new to this but really need some help!
I got my baby Dolly Dragon last week from a rescue with her setup. I was told she had no health problems and had the full correct setup. She started off fine, very friendly, loved wrapping up in my dressing gown and sleeping on me for hours. However, over the last few days she has started displaying a black bears and barely pood (so we removed her bedding, have been bathing her on a daily basis and giving her more fruit and less insects) and over the last day or two she has started puffing her beard up, opening her mouth and got a yellow tinge to her. I've also noticed her bulb isn't a correct uvb so I'm not sure how long she's gone without it. I'm considering taking her to the vets but thought I'd ask you guys opinion first! Please help!
Bearded Dragons especially adults normally have a bit of a yellow tinge in their mouth. How many feeder insects is she eating and are you sure she's a female not a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom