Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visserion

My dragon has had this on going problem for a while now when he is pooping it sounds like he is struggling to breathe or like a airbag filling up and deflating If I ever surprise him and put my hand in the cage and pet him he takes really deep breathes like he can’t breathe I took him to the vet he got shots of antibiotics for weeks the problem still persisted but wasn’t as prominent but now it’s come back in full swing he has a 150w basking bulb he has uvb 105 on the basking spot and 80-70 on the cool side I feed him collard greens every day he gets mealworms 2 times a week and I give him 10-15 each time I don’t have access to dubai roaches and I can’t keep crickets in my house I have had him for about 4 years I give him 1 bath per week and in the morning he sits in his hammock under his Uvb light when in the afternoon he goes to the hot side and goe s under this fake plant hanging of the glass and usually flattens out and stay there sometimes he will move to his log to bask but not often he usually sleeps at night under the plant he also has had diarrhea for as long as I remember he stopped having diarrhea when he was getting shots of antibiotics but it has come back

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them ?? What kind of UVB are you using? Why did the vet give antibiotics ? Did they test for infection?--- please no more shots w/ out finding out why he has diarrhea --- I would look at getting some BSFL from this place https://symtonbsf.com-they are a great staple feeder but they are small - since hes 4 he would need to be fed 2 times per week w/ those and they dont need to be dusted w/ calcium- you can look at feeding phoenix worms as well --
also here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Please tell us what his husbandry is like and we can better help
Karrie

Visserion

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2oixj3fg said:
What are the basking temps and how are you taking them ?? What kind of UVB are you using? Why did the vet give antibiotics ? Did they test for infection?--- please no more shots w/ out finding out why he has diarrhea --- I would look at getting some BSFL from this place https://symtonbsf.com-they are a great staple feeder but they are small - since hes 4 he would need to be fed 2 times per week w/ those and they dont need to be dusted w/ calcium- you can look at feeding phoenix worms as well --
also here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Please tell us what his husbandry is like and we can better help
Karrie
His basking spot is 100 I am taking the temps with a small plastic thermometer they diagnosed him with a URI this why they gave him antibiotics they tested his stool when he was having diarrhea and said nothing was wrong to give him 2 baths a day the brand on the basking bulb is zoomed

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please go buy a $5 digital probe from Petco or Petsmart --- the thermometer is not good that your using ----- the probe needs to sit on the spot where he basks for 10 minutes-- I would suggest in investing a Infrared heat gun from Home Depot or Lowes for $10-12---- you never said what UVB you are using ----- it is imperative that the lighting in the tank be correct ---- please post pics of tank and lighting -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box to post -- Karrie

Visserion

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20p5z4if said:
Please go buy a $5 digital probe from Petco or Petsmart --- the thermometer is not good that your using ----- the probe needs to sit on the spot where he basks for 10 minutes-- I would suggest in investing a Infrared heat gun from Home Depot or Lowes for $10-12---- you never said what UVB you are using ----- it is imperative that the lighting in the tank be correct ---- please post pics of tank and lighting -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box to post -- Karrie
I posted some pictures The Uvb is 15 watts basking lights is 150w

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Pics did not post can you try again -- the UVB is it a tube or a coil?
Karrie

Visserion

Original Poster
It is a tube light and when I click on the link for the pictures posted I posted 3 pictures and it shows them on the right what do I do after that step

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Click on the one you want to post it will show up in the message box w/ a bunch of #'s and XMG should appear in your message box- so your UVB is a tube light can you look at the tube in the fixture and tell me what it says on the bulb--- where in the tank is it? On the top of screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the bulb is a pretty good one --- is it on top of screen I cant tell -- if it is - you need to move it into the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot --- the screen is filtering out alot of the UVB rays --- how old is the bulb? T 8's need to be replaced every 6 months--- next time you replace that bulb I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 bulb --- never mind I see its on top
here is a example of how someone did theirs
97951-2515040147.jpg
you can use these things to hang it w/ command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
He needs to able to sit directly under the UVB I am guessing this is why he has the diarrhea going --- get his UVB fixed and see if the diarrhea goes away and try feeding him different vegies in the nutrition website I sent to you---
Karrie

Visserion

Original Poster
How come his diarrhea went away during the whole antibiotic process and also what should I do about the heavy breathing and the breathing noises when he is pooping could it be that he is just dehydrated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure on that one-- UVB would not be causing breathing but it does have alot to do w/ digestion hence diarrhea- one of the others on here would need to respond to the breathing issues- is he straining to poop? He is not getting enough UVB-- w/ bulb on top of screen-- drache613 or Tracie would need to respond or AHBD on breathing
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I definitely recommend getting a new thermometer, as suggested. Temperatures are so
important for their overall well being & digestion, too.
Which antibiotic is he or has he been on? Are you keeping him well hydrated & on some
probiotics while he is on his medication?
When does he breathe erratically?
It would be a good idea to keep his tank around 80 overnight, to help boost his immune
system.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom