Beardie with Amoeba and Parasites HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iicarcar

So my first post here, please excuse any lacking knowledge I have, I am working really hard to get my tanks to perfect and be the best I can be especially after losing my first boy in August :(

So one of my ladies, Nagini is 4 years old. After getting sick from some expo hornworms and going through panacur treatment for what we thought was only pinworms, and her still acting funny for the summer, we finally found out on her fecal today that she has pinworms AND an amoeba. The clinic notated a species looking like Entomeaba Hartmanni?

They want to treat her with FLAGYL :( :( :( I am super scared given the horror stories here, and she doesn't eat well unless it is crickets and even then we are talking maybe 20 smaller ones a day (have to be small for a juvenile I have). I have caught her some days eating greens, but few and far between which is not how she used to be.

That being said, what can I do for her? I have benebac probiotics, I cannot get more than 1.2 mL of critical care in her at once because it is just too much and then she refuses to take more, and the benebac is THICK and GROSS if I don't cover up the flavor which the critical care fine grind is thick too.

Is there another medicine I could get off the beardeddragon.co website where they have medicines? Could I just use one that would be less harsh? I am really worried about this affecting her, especiallyl since she doesn't really drink in any water. She soaks and loves to swim, but never really drinks it except every 2-3 weeks or so.

She is in a 75 gallon tank, no loose substrate, she has 2 100W bulbs, one is a dimmer so if it is kind of cold or during winter I can adjust it up as needed to reach her temps at about 104 F. She has a Reptisun UVB tube 10.0 T5 bulb 24 in on one side of her tank with the heat bulbs without any mesh above her tank. She is offered the best that I can find for variety (EVERY single grocery store besides Wal Mart does NOT sell any greens they need :( ....) So she gets chopped up collard greens, mustard greens, and turnip greens (depending on availablility and how great of shape they are in). I also have put in sliced up acorn and yellow squash, bell peppers at times, and she gets a multivitamin herptevite 1x a week, and calcium 1x a week. She does love her fruit treats but with her illness she is upset we have cut the blueberries and raspberries and sugar out because of the issues.

Please please please let me know if I can avoid this drug and do something else!!!!! And any other tips for my big Tigress girl Nagini she has been having an awful few months. And so have I
:(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Flagyl is actually not a very harsh drug, [ Albon is the harsh one ] Flagyl is tolerated well by most beardies and may at times increase the appetite for some. So your girl may benefit from it and I'd go ahead with the treatment. Also, how long was she on the other med. and was it Panacur ? It doesn't sound like she's doing too badly, still has an appetite so that's good. :) You can try kale for her too. BTW, that parasite is commonly found in living things and not always a problem so you don't want a long course of antibiotics. Can you post some pics of her + her set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

iicarcar

Original Poster
Oh phew! Thanks so much! Glad to know when it arrives it may help her back to eating greens. She used to be pretty good about eating them as long as you did not feed her any protein first. And she loved squash too and she won't touch it.

She was on Panacur dose once and then 14 days later a second time which is from what I have read not as effective as dosing say 3-5 days in a row? She seemed pretty lethargic after, and the vet said he normally sees that in many reptiles and small animals like cats and smaller dogs, but to make sure it was not for more than a couple days?

I will get some photos up in a second sorry for such a delay, I never got a notification and figured no one answered.

Her tank is new, and I am struggling. She used to be in a 40 B, but she is just too big, so I got a 75 gallon from a friend, and washed it with dawn dish soap, rinsed it, let it dry, repeated that, and then I used a quaternary disinfectant on it that is medical grade (Oxivir), scrubbed it around, let it air dry, and then rinsed and air dried 2x more before she even got into it.

Her temperature is apparently incorrect, (as I suspected with everyone else's temps), because the heat gun I ordered showed much different temps, and I bought a different thermometer and checked and it is showing almost exact same results as the heat thermometer gun, and her tank is only sitting at 94 max on the hot side, (95 basking :( ), and only 77 on the low side, and the whole house has a high 50% humidity so I need to go and try and find a dehumidifier on sale until our treacherous dry, cold winters come.

I put in a 100 watt CHE, which I was told to also adjust at night to keep 80 degrees for the medication time to ensure proper digestion otherwise it got down to 73 in the tanks the past couple nights.

Also, she as well as the other 2 beardies were found with a nico bacteria (?) Something along those lines and my vet said it is super strange to be seeing in reptiles especially up here. Do you have any idea what he may be talking about specifically?

Lastly; I cannot give Nagini Kale. She has gotten bad gastroenteritis for about 2-3 days each time we have tried, even though I have washed it very well, and bought from different sources. Any other greens I can mix in, even if they are more of a few time a week sort of meal. Online sources seem to vary a lot on this unfortunately.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom