Baby Beardie isn't eating, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesueurpeas

My baby isn't eating. He ate the first day we had him, but yesterday he only ate one cricket. Trying to get him to eat this morning and he isn't interested. He looks sort of thin and I am worried about him. I am not sure what to do or why he isn't eating. He's a month old by my estimate, maybe 1.5 months. I have him set up with an 80 Watt UVB/Heat lamp combo bulb that the breeder recommended, and his basking spot is reading 108 degrees right now. I am worried about him and he sleeps a lot. I have only had him 3 days and new to bearded dragons (not to reptiles however). My only guess is that he is stressed out... not sure.

I am just wondering if this is normal for babies/beardies not used to their environment?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Ita very common for them to go through relocation stress when they first arrive. this does typically lower their appetites.

What are you measuring your temps with?
Can you be specific on your lighting? Brand etc.

-Brandon

lesueurpeas

Original Poster
claudiusx":1vh15w3a said:
Hi there,

Ita very common for them to go through relocation stress when they first arrive. this does typically lower their appetites.

What are you measuring your temps with?
Can you be specific on your lighting? Brand etc.

-Brandon

His basking spot is at 108 degrees (fahrenheit) currently. He has a branch that gets him close to it (not too close that he can hurt himself) but still close enough that hes getting the heat and UVB benefits.

Brand of bulb is PowerSunUV 80watt Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp. I am using Zoomed thermometer (https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...=gateway&sprefix=zoomed+thermo,aps,158&sr=8-1 ).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a pic of the actual set up as well as a body shot of the baby ? And what size were the crickets , a pic of them next to the baby or next to a coin for size comparison.

lesueurpeas

Original Poster
AHBD":21ilamlu said:
Can you post a pic of the actual set up as well as a body shot of the baby ? And what size were the crickets , a pic of them next to the baby or next to a coin for size comparison.

Here is his enclosure.
https://imgur.com/ZZ4fbmE

He has a bigger 40 gallon tank arriving in the mail (says it should be here tomorrow). Right now we are using paper towel until the reptile carpet comes (also coming tomorrow). We are watching to make sure the paper towel does not get moist or gross. This is what the breeder also had down in his enclosure when we bought him.

Hes still small so hes in a 10 gallon tank. He was in a 20 gallon tank with about 5 other beardies from his clutch at the breeders, but she said this should be fine for a few days in the 10 gallon since he is so small. In the back, the red thing is a small lid we are using as a water dish as the one we got him is a little deep for him and we don't want him to fall in it. He does have a hide, I removed it this morning to clean out a dead cricket I saw peaking out from it and have not put it back in yet (its really big and barely fits in the cage). I will put it back in later, I do not want to disturb him right now while he is basking.

Here is a cricket next to a quarter for scale. I did not want to disturb Beeko in-case his not eating is stress related.
https://imgur.com/RgYClgt

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a nice temp. set up for Beeko, great placement of the climbing branches for best exposure to the heat + uvb. :) He looks pretty small, the crickets might be just on the large side for him if he's 6" or less. Other than that it might just be relocation stress as mentioned. One more thing, most beardies won't drink from a bowl without being taught [ drip water in it while he's near it ] so you can try that as well as dripping water on his snout so he does not become dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom