Baby beardie spinning rapidly in circles

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a while now Xena, one of my 2 babies I have, has not been wanting to eat much. She would still eat, but very little, but drink alot of water.
Today when I got home, I went downstairs to feed her and couldn't find Xena anywhere. I eventually looked under her carpet and found her just laying there in a bit of a circle position, kinda like the famous "Raptor death pose". I carefully picked her up and placed her under her basking light, as she felt a little cold.
Xena fell off her rock and began to spiral out of control at a rapid pace with her mouth half open, leaving me terrified as she has acted a little strange since her tank mate passed away back around Christmas, but never anything like this and I don't want to lose her too. When I managed to get ahold of Xena her mouth was slowly opening as if gasping for air or trying to bite her tail.
Anyone know what could be happening? I've fed her a steady diet of smaller hornworms, crickets, waxworms, some arugula and collards here and there, and juvenile bearded dragon food. I feed Angel the same exact food as well and have her in a separate tank, and she has just gotten big and healthy from when she had an injury a long while back, so I don't know what is going on. I don't have any video of Xena spiraling as I don't want to sit idly by recording as she is potentially dying. We don't have money for a vet visit at the moment and she hasn't really grown that much since Draco had passed, as opposed to Angel. The store I get her food from is Xtreme Exotics, owned by Steven Brazil over off of Philips highway here in Jacksonville.
From head to take she is just an inch longer than the current Comcast remote size.

If you can help me identify what is going on, please do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of UVB are you using? It sounds like a neurological issue-- what did the other dragon pass from?
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, the temperatures
in the tank & how you are measuring them, etc.
How long has he/she been acting this way?

Tracie

Riolunator1820

Original Poster
Drache613":3qt9054t said:
Hello,

Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, the temperatures
in the tank & how you are measuring them, etc.
How long has he/she been acting this way?

Tracie
I don't quite remember what the bulb type is I have on her, but her tank is one that was a "small reptile starter tank" from PetSmart. I used to have a thermometer in the tank that read around 80 almost at all times, but then an infestation happened and I had to get rid of it. She only started the behavior last night, and today when I got home she made her way onto her basking rock and is walking around like nothing is wrong, munching on a raspberry I got out for her.
I would try giving her a waxworm, but all but one of them cocooned last night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please check that UVB --- if its a coil you need to get rid of it ASAP----- that would be or could be causing the spinning--- lack of calcium in the brain---- if you need to get a new one please get one of these
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- are you dusting the bugs your feeding --- they should be dusted 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week ---- what are your basking temps -- they should be 105-110 and you need to make sure your taking them w/ a infrared heat gun or a digital probe---- NO STICK ONS- they are totally inaccurate!! To prevent her from getting any worse please have the right UVB!!
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom