Antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Hello, I posted about a month ago about my beardie being in brumation for 5 months. Well he still is so I took him to a vet and he said I should give him antibiotics to bring him out of brunation because sometimes they have that affect. Do you agree with this approach ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is the dragon's body weight stable ?

Run down on tank temperatures , how they are measured .

Run down on photoperiod ( when are light on / off ? )

Run down on UV source , be as detailed as you can . How old is the UV source ?

Is the vet a certified and experienced REPTILE VET ?

I'm very dubious about giving antibiotics to "wake up a dragon" , sounds like an excuse to sell something that's not necessary. I'm very dubious and am inclined to put this in the "snake oil" department and more likely to do harm than good if there is no infection to fight.
Did the vet take any samples ( blood, swab ) , and found the dragon is sick as a result or is he/she just grasping at straws ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, I have never ever heard of such a thing and I've brumated quite a few dragons. Please do go over the tank info as the other poster mentioned. Pics of the dragon + his tank will also be helpful. Getting him in the sun will help as well. If he has a hide in the tank, take it out ASAP.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
So I guess I should have mentioned he did take stool and that was fine. He took blood and said his liver enzymes are elevated, but last year when he took blood they were also elevated so we assumed that it could be just hereditary that his liver is abnormal. He actually gained 10grams from last year.
Temperatures are about 95-98 in the basking spot and about 80 in the cooler side. I replaced the reptisun 10.0 recently so that’s not old. He’s 4 years old. Lights on at 6am and off at 6:30 pm - they were always like that, just because I leave to work early so I want to feed and let him run around before that.
The vet is a reptile vet - the only one on my area and has very good reviews. Other vets said that he’s the beta reptile vet.
Pictures below, I will be removing the hide, because he keeps on going there when I take him out. I took him outside a few times and as soon as I put him back he runs to his hide.
83478-8734924150.jpg
83478-1568606664.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks very hefty so he has kept all his weight during brumation. He's so well fed that he's not inclined to interrupt his months long snooze because he doesn't need any food to boost his strength or anything. Def. take the hide out and you need to keep his lights on much longer. like until 8:30-9:00 p.m. He needs a longer photo period, more " daylight " time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely no, I would not recommend giving any antibiotics to your dragon who has been
brumating for 5+ months. One primary reason is that he is very slown down & his metabolism
would simply not handle it in his system so it would greatly tax his renal system. It could
cause him to become ill.
I think all he needs is encouragement & some sunshine. You can definitely take out any of
the hides that are in the tank, as suggested to try & get him to bask more. He looks good overall
so I doubt he is ill right now.
What type of lighting do you have again?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
vmanilova":1mg00rjh said:
So I guess I should have mentioned he did take stool and that was fine. He took blood and said his liver enzymes are elevated, but last year when he took blood they were also elevated so we assumed that it could be just hereditary that his liver is abnormal. He actually gained 10grams from last year.
Temperatures are about 95-98 in the basking spot and about 80 in the cooler side. I replaced the reptisun 10.0 recently
<<<< Type of globe (compact, T8 linear , T5 linear) and wattage ?

so that’s not old. He’s 4 years old. Lights on at 6am and off at 6:30 pm - they were always like that, just because I leave to work early so I want to feed and let him run around before that.

<<< try nudging up the photoperiod , I'd go to 6am = ON, 9pm OFF.

The vet is a reptile vet - the only one on my area and has very good reviews. Other vets said that he’s the beta reptile vet.

<<< I'd ask exactly why he wants to try antibiotics.
<<< were any bloodtests done ? or is he shooting in the dark ?

Pictures below, I will be removing the hide, because he keeps on going there when I take him out. I took him outside a few times and as soon as I put him back he runs to his hide.
83478-8734924150.jpg
83478-1568606664.jpg

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Lights I have is the basking light 100 watts and t10 reptisun 24inches
He said antibiotics because of abnormal liver (from blood tests) and he thinks it helps come it brumation - but last year blood test showed the same and he was fine. He did do two brumationa last year but they weren’t this long - one three months in the spring and another one was 1.5 months in the winter. I’ll increase his light time and I just extended the lighting time - hopefully he will become more active
Thank you

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
83478-6332122665.jpg

I have this one. Doesn’t say anything besides 10.0 on it
I will check on the actual light bulb once I’m home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom