Possible birth defect/injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacherysmith18

full

Hey there, recently my wife and I adopted a dragon and we're not totally sure his former situation. He seems happy, energetic, good eater, etc. He did however come with a little dent on the right side of his head (or maybe that's how he looks) but his mouth on the same side never fully closes, he's got a Sylvester Stallone thing going on. Has anyone else ever experienced this? He has a vet appointment later this month but I just wanted others experience. Thanks in advance.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It is kind of hard to see the dent in the first picture, probably because of the angle, but I think I see what you are talking about.

The jaw thing hopefully isn't caused by a broken bone or anything.

It's possible it's a birth defect. It's more likely (IMO) that it would be caused by improper husbandry and MBD softening the jawbone.

You will definitely want the vet to take an X-ray if possible.

Zacherysmith18":3i9ajlqx said:
we're not totally sure his former situation
Are you able to contact the previous owners at all for clarification? It might help to figure out if it is caused by MBD, or an injury.

-Brandon

Zacherysmith18

Original Poster
Thank you for the response, the message board auto filled where it said we don't know much, I did not write that lol but it was someone my wife sorta knows and I'd asked her to contact the former owner about medical history, when we received him and his housing it wasn't in the best condition but I revamped and deep cleaned everything, so you may be right about that, but he's been getting proper greens and protein since moving here so hopefully it will be all good. Unfortunately there's really only one really reputable reptile vet in town so it's about a month wait unless it's an emergency but he's got an appointment.?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is likely something from previous care. He is a nice looking dragon though!
Which UVB light are you currently using for him?
If this hasn't affected his eating, then it shouldn't be hurting him any. Sometimes they can
have birth defects that just don't go away.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom