Lazy and not moving to much just basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,
I am new here. so not sure if this is the right place to put this. I just got my first bearded dragon on august 31st so i have just had him a few days. his name is stanly. over the past few days he has not been moving to much. he has just been sitting there basking for most hours of the day. the normal temp in the tank is around 88 F. not sure how much right under the lamp. humidity is between 33-40 most of the time. he has also been sleeping a lot. has only defalcated once since he have had him. we feed him meal worms with calsium as well as reptivita. he usually eats about 3-4 of them before stopping. as well we do spray him down in the morning as well as once or twice during the day. i just want to know if this is normal behavior for him or if i should take him to the vet. please if any of you can help let me know. i just want to make sure he is ok. he is also shedding right now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is Stanly? Please post pics of his tank and lighting -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box --
It is normal behavior for them to be stressed - its called relocation stress but your basking temps are not high enough - for a baby 105-110 for an adult 95-105- after we see the tank etc we can better help-also temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe or a Infrared heat gun-- stick ons are totally in accurate
thanks
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
[
105895-215200615.jpg
this is about how it is set up. Only change I made was I push the wood more up on the wall so it is closer to the light. It is a 100w zoo med basking light. We do take him outside every morning for about 30 minutes for sunlight. He is about 3 months old. About 8 1/2 inches and got a diffrent thermometer foe the cage. Its a aucc u weather one. aslo feed him salad witch he started eating this morning finally and that is mustard greens and squash

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so first I will tell you wood chips can cause impaction - so I would get rid of those to reduce the risk-- you can use paper towels for now or go to Home Depot and get some textured non adhesive shelf liner - it is easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cannot get underneath -what size tank is he in? If your going to upgrade I would just use paper towels for now its up to you-- second and most important thing is the UVB - here is some info on that
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- you need to replace this right away--- next the accu weather thermometer is that a digital ? or the stick on I see in the tank ------------- totally inaccurate --- they can be off by as much as 40 degrees--- the lighting in the tank is the most important thing in the tank besides the basking temp- w/ out them you dont have digestion -- the only UVB your dragon is getting right now is when you take him outside -------------- I would also look at getting him some more decor to sit on Petsmart has nice decor for dragons- kinda spendy but nice --
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
ok. good to know on the impaction thank you. the tank he is in right now is a 40 gallon tank. at the moment i am using the reptisun compact florescent for the uvb but i will get on it to order a light bar to go across the tank instead of just the compact. and for the basking light i shouldn't have it on the tank at all? i mean it is in the housing for the bulbs. in the dome fixture. the accuwerther is digital and is diffrent then the one in the pic. it is this one. https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Weather-Station/1000162483
its acurite my bad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The digital is good as long as its a probe--- just take the probe and put it where he sits for basking leave for 10 minutes to get accurate temp-- if its not a probe all your getting is ambient air temp you need a temp on the spot hes sitting- you can get those at Petsmart for $5---- get rid of the coil all together --- you need a bright white basking bulb and as long as your basking bulb is bright white and is keeping temps at 105-110 for him your good - you can keep the dual dome just take the coil out!! You might want to invest in a Infrared heat gun at some point they are cheap and can be bought at Home Depot between $10-12 --- they are a good investment ---
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
ok. so i will get the reptisun 10 t8 at petsmart tonight. and that will repalce the coil and then should i get a different basking light while i am there that is white? do you have any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good -- the basking bulb what is it? You can leave it there as long as its a bright white - and are your basking temps to what they need to be? 105-110-- the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 will probably be a 18" but I am not sure try and get like a 22" or 24" if they have it-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 needs to be inside the tank -- 6-8 inches from basking - the screen is filtering out the UVB --- its a tan colored bulb ? what kind of bulb is it? brand and wattage
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
So i think i may be getting a little confused.so i got the t8 reptisun uvb bulb. that is for the uvb and i need to hang that in the tank 6-8 inches away from the basking area. Correct? for the basking light i have a zoo med 100w basking light. if you just google zoo med 100w basking light it will pull up the on i have.
105895-5235265451.jpg
this one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yep that is good --- I have used both--- yes the T 8 needs to go inside the tank approx 6--8 inches from basking area- the basking bulb and UVB dont need to be side by side if you cant get them like that - they will go to what light they need -- here are some things you can use to hang the fixture w/
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
Karrie

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
I have got another question. the humidity in the tank is droppping down to 25-28 last night and today. how can i raise it back up and keep it in the 30-40 range?

Stanlythedragon

Original Poster
ok. we have tried that. the water dish is on the cold side of the tank and its still sitting around 26. do you have any other ideas? maybe misting or should i see about a humidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom