Stuck shed or normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpMama

105806-4548237305.jpg
XIMG]

I don't know how to do this or if you can see this photo, but is this normal shed? I'm so worried that something is wrong. Is it retained shed? I read that is dangerous even deadly. I am a somewhat new rescue bearded dragon mom. I rescued Schmitty about 6 months ago and he was very malnourished the vet said. Since then he has put on a good deal of weight and getting lots of love and cuddles. I also give him liquid multivitamins and liquid calcium. Please tell me if I should take him to a vet tomorrow?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
To me it doesnt look good but I am no expert--- I have seen shed and what not but not like this- some one w/ more experience will haft to look at it
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It possibly looks fungal based off the scales looking destroyed.

I'd take him into a vet if you can. If the vet has any concerns that it is fungal he will do a skin scrape to test it.

How long has the beard been like that? Since you rescued him?

-Brandon

HerpMama

Original Poster
It has not been this way since I got him. No only recently have I noticed this. Maybe 1 month or so. Also I give him liquid multivitamins and the liquid is this yellow color.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I suppose that's possible if it's been dripping down out of his mouth. Have you tried gently washing it in a bath?

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When you use the toothbrush, do you wet it and stroke downward on the beard ? If not, be sure to do that. Hopefully it is just the vitamins but otherwise it may be fungal like Karrie mentioned.

BTW, just an FYI, only give him the vitamins 1-2 X a week max., and only very small amount. They can get health problems if too much is given. It does sound like he's doing very well in your care though so good job. :)

HerpMama

Original Poster
Oh definitely. Thank you for the advice. I'm only 6 months in, but I am pretty happy where Schmitty has come from in that time. He was totally starving to death, like a bone when I got him. Sometimes I worry about him not being all that active, then I remember he is recovering from being malnourished. But yeah, I only give him a teeny bit of liquid vitamins a few times a week, not daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom