HELP beardie squeaking, rusty brown runny poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momoffour

Hi new beardie mom. We purchased him may 16 of this year. Bought the beardie kit with lamps landscape substrate. Spritzed him daily the 1st month then switched to a fresh water bowl on the advice of our pet store owner. He eats crickets and fresh greens daily (spinach chard kale). The warm side is kept between 96-105 *F during day and cool side is about 78-82 *F. He ate his first couple roaches last week. Three days ago A-ok (see photo with spinach), now —- he’s making a sqwak squeak noise (SEE VIDEO uploaded on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdFlGUnyEI8 ) and runny brown red poop (pictures now attached). He looks a bit yellow and his eyes were looking like a grey film every once and a while. Any ideas? His tail looks purple in one photo but I think it’s cause he’s regulating his heat from being in his container cage while we cleaned his terrarium ...

105781-6476017446.jpg
105781-4580730521.jpg
105781-1713759294.jpg
105781-221260516.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could your dragon have swallowed a foreign object? Does he appear to be breathing
alright or is he having trouble breathing?
You can upload a video using the XIMG function then copy/paste the Url & onto here.
Is his beard darker than normal right now?
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting along with
how you are measuring his temperatures, too. Do you use a temp gun or a digital probe to
measure the temperatures?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ the vet recommendation -- please post pics of lighting and set up you got from the petstore - the issues you described do not sound good and I have a feeling it has something to do w/ the set up
Karrie

Momoffour

Original Poster
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES! He seems ok this morning, havent heard him squeak and hes all bright orange. His poop was more formed like normal, still same color. (who would've known I would be so inclined by poop OY!)
105781-9667130559.jpg
I have uploaded the photos on last post (didnt realize they didnt take yesterday) and the video via youtube. I will also attach the lighting set up photos on this post. ANY HELP/ADVISE is needed. THANKS!!!

105781-8881200114.jpg

105781-2421788145.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil UVB--- you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 TUBE --- the coils are no good and can cause lots of harmful issues --- please get either the T 8 or a T 5 - the T 5 is a strong bulb and HO bulb the T 8 is good but not as strong ---- you can find the T 8's at most of your pet stores -- but you need to get that replaced ASAP- the T 8 needs to go inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking the T 5 can go on top of screen approx 10-12 inches from basking as long as your screen is wide hole --- the screens tend to filter out a lot or most of the UVB rays thats why they need to go inside --- I am glad hes doing better but the UVB will need to be changed out - other wise you will have more issues down the road -- the tail looks like its gonna shed
Karrie

Momoffour

Original Poster
KarrieRee
I’m sorry I’m so new to this. Do you have a picture or link if the bulb I need? To be clear, keep the basking light but get a T8 to replace the coil uvb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Momoffour

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick response. Do I need a new light fixture? That bulb doesn’t look like it fits the mini dome. I’m so confused

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I sent a link for the fixture too- you should have two different links
and yes you wont get a TUBE bulb in that dome
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? He needs basking temp to be 105-110 - and it needs to be taken w/ a infrared heat gun and or a digital probe-- probe should sit there on his spot for 10 minutes or so - infrared is good to have on hand and usually gives the most accurate temps--
Karrie

Momoffour

Original Poster
We have his digital temperature gage on the cage. Infrared probe for temp is better? I feel like I’m failing ? I’m sorry I thought I had it right

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The probe you can use to take for his basking temp just put the probe where he sits that will give a temp of what its at --- then you can take the probe and stick it on the cool side of tank -- that cool side needs to be around 80 or so during the day and not below 65 at nite - you can invest in another digital probe for hot side or get a infrared heat gun from walmart home depot or lowes -- they are around $10-12 --- they are a good investment and very handy - since hes got a ramp so to speak on the basking side it looks like hes gonna have a gradient of heat and where he wants to sit -- which is good -- if he wants to move to more hot he can go up and if he wants cooler he can move down -- just make sure you get temps -- that is overall health to your dragon along w/ proper UVB --- as it sits now hes basically getting NO UVB w/ that coil --- and probably why his poop looks off
Karrie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Momoffour glad to hear that he's acting better, would be a good idea to keep a close eye on him though because that video was very scary!. If you've been misting him inside the tank, please don't do that anymore because it can raise the humidity leading to an upper respiratory infection.

The round gauge (dial) thermometers are very inaccurate and can be 20 degrees off. A digital probe thermometer or a temperature gun would give you more accurate readings.

He looks pretty close to the basking bulb, would be a good idea to make sure he is within the 6 to 8" distance from it, wouldn't want him to get burned.

Good luck with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom