Is my beardie sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is 2 years old, and I've owned him for about three weeks now. Over the past couple of days, I've noticed something's not quite right with him. He seems fine in himself, but he didn't have a bowel movement for about 4 or 5 days (he usually pooped once/twice every day, or sometimes once every two days before this). I'd been feeding him dubia roaches twice a week, and he never ate many of them, but he could eat loads of waxworms and morio worms. When he stopped pooping, I kept finding little hard, crispy brown things around the tank which looked like the shell of a roach, so I thought maybe he wasn't digesting them properly and I stopped giving them to him. He lost his appetite for a few days, but we were still working on introducing new greens because his previous owner only fed him lettuce, so I just put it down to that.

Tonight though, I was feeding him Morio worms and he ate LOADS of them (14 and 1 waxworm, which is a big meal of insects for him considering his usual amount), and I noticed after a while he was breathing a little heavy and puffing his beard a bit, but he didn't go black. I heard a slight whistle which I have heard before, so I gave him a break and resumed feeding him when he'd stopped, and he carried on eating. But I noticed when I gave him another break that he opened his mouth to chew a bit of worm still in his mouth, and there was some watery, saliva-looking stuff in his mouth that bubbled out of the sides a tiny bit when he closed his mouth. It went away after he opened and shut his mouth once or twice, and he carried on eating happily again. I'm beginning to worry that this was mucus, and that the whistle I can hear is a sign of a respiratory infection.

Coincidentally, he's been really lethargic for the past few days- he usually settles down to sleep 30 mins before his lights go off, but recently he's been settling down 2 hours beforehand. Today, he fell asleep on his log during the day, which he's never done before. But he hasn't lost his appetite- if anything, he seems to have a bigger appetite tonight than he has done in a while. He was also full of energy when I let him out of his tank, running around way more than he usually does.

I also noticed a few days ago that his poop was kind of white and sticky. I've enclosed a picture. He's had a few poops before that and after that were solid but quite soft. Is there something wrong with him??

105609-492164586.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may have overdone it on the worms a bit. At his age, I'd really try to focus on a mainly veg diet. If he likes worms, try cutting squash into worm shapes and offering that. It will take some time to get him adjusted to a proper diet but will be worthwhile in the long run.

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2q2fhvt9 said:
He may have overdone it on the worms a bit. At his age, I'd really try to focus on a mainly veg diet. If he likes worms, try cutting squash into worm shapes and offering that. It will take some time to get him adjusted to a proper diet but will be worthwhile in the long run.

He does eat quite a bit of veg now- I fill two quite shallow bowls for him with greens, vegetables, and occasionally fruits- I never see him actually eat them but they're always a majority gone the next day. It was mainly the whistle when he breathed, and also the watery saliva stuff at the sides of his mouth that worried me. He never whistles any other time, but I've heard it a few times when he eats. Could it be possible that he has a blocked nostril or something?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK good. I'd keep focusing on offering a variety of veges and cut back on the bugs and see how that goes.

As far as the sound and mucous, it could be a blocked nostril or just related to eating a lot at once. Did this continue well after the meal was over?

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
CooperDragon":26dy4ie0 said:
OK good. I'd keep focusing on offering a variety of veges and cut back on the bugs and see how that goes.

As far as the sound and mucous, it could be a blocked nostril or just related to eating a lot at once. Did this continue well after the meal was over?

No, the mucous was just whilst he was chewing. It only lasted for a couple of seconds or so. The whistling he always does when eating. When he's napping or dozing near me, I can sometimes hear it too, but aside from that, never any other time. He has been a bit lethargic for the past two days, but he seems to have perked up in terms of energy today. He puffs his beard in and out a lot when eating, but I just assumed that helped him digest his food??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's related to eating and is fairly normal. I wouldn't be concerned with that. It's good that his energy level is back up today. That tends to be cyclical just as their appetite is.

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
CooperDragon":tocskdly said:
Yeah that's related to eating and is fairly normal. I wouldn't be concerned with that. It's good that his energy level is back up today. That tends to be cyclical just as their appetite is.

Ah, thank you so much! I was really concerned just in case!! Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom