Burned nails + broken nail, unlucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilderup

Hi all,

I have been very unlucky with my two bearded dragons lately. Chili(female) got a severe parasite infection and nearly died, but is luckily acting fine and eating now.

But Sandy(female), my other bearded dragon has also been unlucky lately, ~2 weeks ago when I picked her up from a pet store keeping her while I was on vacation, she had burned her right foot, somehow. They didn't know how, and honestly, neither did I.
101468-5165602011.jpg
101468-323425914.jpg
It is better now, not much pain. However her "thumbs" on each foot has begun going inwards as seen on the picture, and will the nails they ever grow back? (Only nails got burned, not foot?)

However, just now when I got home from school I noticed something on her left foot... Pictures:
101468-2776180716.jpg
101468-2317432994.jpg
I do not know HOW that happened. She is usually pretty wild, she loves running around and exploring and that might be why. She does not seem in pain(only when touching it lightly)
The rest of the nail is hanging in a thin piece of tissue/skin.

What should I do? Take it off, and clean? (I have some Chlorhexidine, is this fine?) Let it be? Try and place it back? :shock:

I have read in similar posts that hammocks could be the reason, and I have one, but with pretty big holes. Still, might be.

101468-2573162024.jpg

Thanks in advance...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is quite odd. The missing nails will likely stay as they are but not cause a problem. Broken nails tend to heal over from what i've seen. It can cause issues with traction for climbing but that tends to be most of it. The bent nail does look like it was twisted. It's possibly due to the hammock but I can't say for sure. Sometimes they get caught and broken like that. It's a good idea to keep it as clean as possible. The nail may fall off and if it does, it should heal over and be OK as long as you can prevent the finger from getting infected. It doesn't look like the finger itself is twisted or broken (an x-ray would show it better) based on the photo. Definitely a strange situation. I hope it heals quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom