Beardie's Beard Black All Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Hi,

I have a 2-3 month old little baby dragon. Last night, my cat got into his room. His tank is closed and there's no way the cat could get to him, but I think the incident spooked him. His beard had a little black on the lower part last night, and it still looks that way now. I've included a picture.

I should note he's also being treated for parasites he got from being stuck with other beardies (and their poop) before we adopted him. He's getting meds and eating and behaving just fine, but the beard has me worried.

Is this because of the dragon's stress or am I just overthinking it? Can he be harmed in some way by this stress? (Like a heart attack or ulcers or something?) or will he be ok now that we know to keep the cat away from even his tank?

105535-9881299589.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His beard isnt really jet black like it would be if he was in a lot of distress, darkness like that is caused mainly by stress or being scared. It could also be from the parasite meds. Some are pretty harsh on their system and it upsets them.

If hes eating and acting fine, a little bit of stress Mark's like that is no real concern! I wouldn't worry :)

-Brandon

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":dr035xl6 said:
His beard isnt really jet black like it would be if he was in a lot of distress, darkness like that is caused mainly by stress or being scared. It could also be from the parasite meds. Some are pretty harsh on their system and it upsets them.

If hes eating and acting fine, a little bit of stress Mark's like that is no real concern! I wouldn't worry :)

-Brandon

Thank you, but I am still concerned. Is he still stressed due to cat last night or do you think is this his meds and parasites?

And again, can him being stressed cause damage to him? Like how humans get ulcers?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is really no way to tell what is stressing him without him being able to tell us himself :)
Really, it's very common for them to show stress Mark's like that from time to time.

What meds is he on and what is the dose?

As to your other question, there is no evidence that dragons suffer any side effects of stress besides what was already causing it in the first place. Him having stress Mark's wont hurt him. Think of it more as a tool they have to communicate to us with.

Like I said I wouldn't worry.

If your husbandry is up to par he will be just fine! But we can go over that if youd like, and his meds if youd like.

-Brandon

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":36ko0ryu said:
There is really no way to tell what is stressing him without him being able to tell us himself :)
Really, it's very common for them to show stress Mark's like that from time to time.

What meds is he on and what is the dose?

As to your other question, there is no evidence that dragons suffer any side effects of stress besides what was already causing it in the first place. Him having stress Mark's wont hurt him. Think of it more as a tool they have to communicate to us with.

Like I said I wouldn't worry.

If your husbandry is up to par he will be just fine! But we can go over that if youd like, and his meds if youd like.

-Brandon

He is on Ponazuril for coccidia. He just got his second dose last night.

My concern was that his beard looked that way due to the cat that was above his tank, but because his beard is the same a day later I doubt it.

I thank you for telling me not to worry. My wife said that our previous beardie sometimes had a beard look like this simply because of shedding or something minor, not being sick or upset. I suppose that is the case here, is that likely?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just keep the cat away from him --- he will stress the little guy out as they are predators ---
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad your baby is fine then & there wasn't any incidences.
At least his beard wasn't jet black! I think he will be alright, but stress like that can make
them ill if it's severe enough.
Do you have a lock on the top of the tank & do you keep the room locked at all time too?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom