Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ailee

My bearded dragon ate a "wild" tomato horn worm before I was able to stop him what do I do? It was in our yard and we don't put pesticides or poisons down but I know that it could have come from somewhere that did use pesticides.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you administer activated charcoal? If you don't have any on hand i'd highly suggest running to a store and getting some.

Even if the worm wasn't around pesticides, wild hornworms are poisonous to dragons due to the fact that they eat the tomato leaf.

How is he acting right now?

If you give us his weight we can help you with dosing amounts.

-Brandon

Ailee

Original Poster
We only have a small kitchen scale and it only weighs in Grams he weighs 328 G or 11.57Oz. he seems fine he is zooming around my room. My family is very holistic so we do have activated charcoal, how would I go about giving him the charcoal?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You would need to make it into a slurry and get it in his mouth, preferably with a syringe.
Let me double check on the dosing.

That's good that he is acting fine. How long has it been? He might not need the AC but it also wouldn't hurt.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
300mg should be an ok number for him. It's on the low end of dosing but if hes acting ok, a mid to high dose probably isnt warranted.

1-3mg per g of bw is a good general rule.

-Brandon

Ailee

Original Poster
It's been about 35 minutes as soon as I saw Reptar eat it I got him in and got on here for help, it wasn't a very big horn worm it was smaller than my pinky finger.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok that's good that it wasnt the large ones!

It's really a judgement call then at this point. Usually they would start having I'll effects by now if something was going to happen. Administering the AC at this point would be more so for peace of mind.
If you want you can just keep a close eye on him for the rest of the night and see how things go.

-Brandon

Ailee

Original Poster
Brandon, may I ask what the side effects are?
Reptar is my second bearded dragon my first (Puff) sadly suddenly passed away on Fathers day and we have no idea what could have happened to him, so I am on edge right now.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Toxic effects usually cause lethargic behavior. they basically just start acting sick. More serious toxins could cause seizures or convulsions.

Other signs of distress would be a black beard. That's almost always seen when they are getting hit hard by a toxin.

At this point, it being almost an hour, I'd say you can calm down a bite more (I know its hard) as long as hes acting normal and has no black beard.

If he drinks in the bath you could try to give him a bath so he can have some water. Make sure he has at least an hour after the bath under the lights to dry off before bed.

I'm sorry if I alarmed you at first. I just wanted to get you the details you needed for worst case scenario incase he was really acting sick! I'm so glad he isnt!

-Brandon

Ailee

Original Poster
Right now he is snuggled into my neck but when I put him down he perks up but looks annoyed, I'm just super worried about him because I got him from a couple off Craigslist who no longer had time for him. He had the beginnings of MBD, several stuck sheds (when he started to shed they would pull the shed off) and I looks like when they were pulling off sheds they might have damaged his nose.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well it sounds like he is in much better hands! At this point I really dont think you need to worry anymore. Just keep him away from those hornworms! :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And to ease your mind a bit more, I did a bit more research into the toxic compound that would be present in the wild hornworms. Apparently it doesnt very readily absorb through the GI system, at least not like a toxin such as a pesticide would. and it seems that it would require a decently high amount of the toxin to be ingested to cause any serious issues. Since this was such a small worm, it likely didnt have much of the toxin for a 300g+ dragon. It would be more of a concern if it were a larger worm, and multiple were ate.

:)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom