My beardie's eye is swollen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It does look a little off to me also.
Can you review the type/brand of UVB lighting that you use? Are you also using a bright white
light for basking, too?
What type of substrate do you have in her tank for her?
How long has it been irritated & swollen like that?
It could be lighting, substrate or nutritional in nature.

Tracie

Thomasthebeardie

Original Poster
We have a UV bulb (the long skinny one we change every 6 months) and regular heat lamps. He's almost 8 and nothing has really changed with his cage setup. No substrate (we have a little flat rug on the bottom of his cage but nothing he can eat/swallow from it). He does seem like he may be getting ready to peel so I'm hoping it's just that? It's been like this for a few weeks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, good, a long tube is better than a compact/coil type. What particular brand is it & how
far away from him is it?
If his eye seems a bit irritated, you can get some sterile saline solution for him to use daily
for help with flushing it out. It might be that he is going to shed that area, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you been using the saline solution like Tracie suggested?

What does his daily diet and supplement schedule look like? Sometimes deficiencies or overdoses can cause eye swelling.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You should be able to find a sterile saline type of solution at a local drug store, or maybe
even Walmart, too. Maybe something like a lens solution but without chemicals. Also, at
the pet stores there is a product called Turtle eye drops you can purchase, too.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is his eye looking, has it improved any at all?
Let us know how he is doing. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Thomasthebeardie

Original Poster
Hi Tracie - thank you so much for asking. His eye hasn’t changed. I can’t find pure saline solution. The local reptile store only had turtle eye drops which we could use however they are for vitamin A deficiency. We are bathing him often and spraying him with water to keep him hydrated. He is peeling on multiple parts of his body. Last month it looked like he had tail rot but it was actually retained shed (it eventually shed bit took a month!). So we are hoping this might be the same situation. We are going away tomorrow for a week and have a friend feeding him. Hoping for the best. If it’s not cleared up when we get home we will take him to the vet. Fortunately we have a fantastic vet who specializes in exotic animals close by. Thank you for all your help and for checking on him! I’ll kerp you posted!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope that it is just going to be retained shed. Poor thing, but at least he is shedding though.
That's great you do have someone coming over to help out with taking care of him then, when
you are gone.
The turtle eye drops should be able to be used safely short term to help. If the eye itself isn't
infected, hopefully it will clear up soon. At least though, you are lucky enough to have a good
vet in your area in case you need to take him in when you get back.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom