Vent Concern/Sick Bearded vs. Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishubz

I'm newer to the reptile world, and I feel like a panicky new mom. I apologize in advance for all the run on sentences and grammatical errors!

I purchased my bearded on April 20th from a reputable breeder. He's now around 7-8 months old, ~16 inches long. Hes always been an excellent eater and pooper. His staple proteins are dubia roaches, but he's also had black soldier fly larvae, superworms, and crickets. The last 3 weeks or so, he's started to slow down and seem more lazy/lethargic. He used to eat 10-20 medium/large dubias a day. He hasn't eaten any in 2 days...but he did eat 8 on Saturday. His fresh veggie/fruit appetite has also diminished. Although, he did eat a raspberry and bit of kale today. He's pooping once or twice a week, and they do appear to be more dried out, urate more chalky? However, I work 10+ hour shifts, so they may be dry from sitting for hours? I keep a shallow bowl of water in his terrarium, but I've never seen him drink or poop in it. I got paranoid that he was dehydrated as he looked a bit wrinkly and skin seemed to tent longer than normal. So I've been giving him daily soaks.

Today after his bath, I noticed these..."crusties" coming out of his vent? I can't tell if they're attached or what. I attached images of his vent, tenting skin?, and cage set up.

More tidbits: He lives in a Exo-Terra 36x18x18 with slate bottom. I use Zoo Med 26054 Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood, 36", and a 100w heat bulb. Lights on a timer for 0600-2300. The Reptisun is only 3 months old, then i'll replace it with a 10.0. His basking area is usually around 105-110, cool area 75-80.

Help.
105502-6455660565.jpg
105502-3491999181.jpg
105502-5243554376.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, those would be sperm plugs and are harmless. He's getting to be a big boy and some males will produce those. Warm soaks of 10 -15 minutes a few X a week will help, you can even gently move it back + forth as he's soaking to assist it. he will be fine. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes they go through a short period of going of their food. See how he does in the next week. If he still refuses food it might be good to have a fecal test done by an experienced reptile vet just in case he has parasites.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely sperm plugs. They commonly get those & sometimes they work themselves out
after getting dried out & other times they come out when they go to the bathroom.
It sounds like he has just started going through a little slow down phase which often happens
after big growth spurts. They also tend to go through periods of time in which they change
their eating preferences too & can get more picky with their eating. LOL
I agree, a fecal might be needed later if he continued to not eat for too long & or starts to lose
too much weight.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom