Lethargy, sleeping all day and black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlenaz

Hey all,
My beardie is about 6 now and the past 2/3 days he’s had a constant black beard, he seems very limp in his torso and he’s been sleeping on the lower part of his tank when he usually likes to stay up near his basking spot.. we try to keep him outside a lot on hot summer days because this is when he seems happiest. I have him outside now and he’s still acting a little strange. Any suggestions, or do you think a vet visit is the best option for me..
thanks, Marlena

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hey marlena,

Behavior like that with a black beard usually means the dragon is in pain or is suffering from something.
I would make an appointment.

In the mean time, we can go over some things to rule out any husbandry issues if youd like?

What are you using for a uvb bulb? Is it a long tube?
What are the temps in your tank? Cool side and basking surface temp.
What are you using to measure these temps?

Can you describe what his daily diet looks like?
Supplement schedule?
When did he last poo?

If you could post a picture of him and a picture of the setup that would help too!

-Brandon

Marlenaz

Original Poster
He eats tons of fresh fruits and veggies, most of them are home grown during the summer time, mainly meal worms but I will occasionally give him crickets, I follow a dietary sheet to ensure I’m not overfeeding Foods. His tank is set up with a UVB and basking lights are near his perch which he usually stays on, the night light on the left. He usually prefers to stay on his basking spot but lately he’s been laying down on the lower level of the tank, sleeping most of the day. I think I’ll call in the morning and make an appointment he seems to be in some sort of pain or discomfort.
I can’t find how to post a photo on my cell phone so I’ll have to get my laptop out and upload. Thanks for your help, Brandon !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB and basking lights --- Brand and bulb for UVB??????????------------- the night light is a NO NO -- they need darkness to sleep--------------- the light on at nite disturbs their sleep--- if you posted a pic it did not show
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG on top of the message box please
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, will you be taking him into a vet today or this week?
If his beard is still dark, he is not feeling well.
How is his weight, is he losing weight right now, or have you noticed that?

Please let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom