Beardie with prolapse and impacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmac

I am pet sitting a beardie who came to me with a prolapse. I have been giving sugar baths and applying sugar paste or Vaseline when it’s exposed. She was able to pull it back in on her own a few times but still has not pooped. Prolapse started 3 weeks ago! She urates but that’s it. Sometimes active and devouring super worms and then in def pain when attempting to push. Any help is appreciated! I am going to try baby food and olive oil tonight. I don’t have $$ for vet and the owner is not supportive. I will try to add a pic once I figure out how.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would cut out the supers for now. They can be hard to digest especially if their are digestive issues already. Keep up with the baby food it should help make it easier to poo so she doesn't have to push so hard.

Does she feel impacted?
What are her basking surface temps?

-Brandon

Cmac

Original Poster
I am getting a new UV light today but currently between 80 and 90 plus she has her heat rock which she loves. I did try massaging the belly and it does feel a bit lumpy but I'm not sure the exact reason. I'm learning as I go. I will trying to cut to soft food only but she has been holding out for the worms which she devours but I will skip that for a bit. She does drink a lot in the bath but then almost convulses when she tries to push. Is there a way for me to add a pic?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So do you not have a basking bulb? You should have a lamp that provides UVB, and a lamp that provides a visible light and heat.

80-90 isn't hot enough to facilitate digestion. They need to be able to bask in at lest 95 degrees at a minimum for basic metabolic functions.

Heat rocks are also generally not a good idea. They need overhead heat, that is what they search out and is whats natural for them. Heat rocks also pose the risk of serious burns.

This girl needs all the help she can get, so the best thing you can do right now is make sure you are providing her as prfct of husbandry as you can.

This means a good uvb bulb. The reptisun 10.0 tube or the arcadia 12%/14% tubes are great. Please note these are long flourescent tubes, not bulbs that fit into a standard socket.
You also need to have a basking bulb alongside the uvb tube which provides a bright white light, and gives you a basking surface temperature of 95-100 for an adult. If you have a large tank and large basking surface, I would shoot for 95-105, that way she can pick the temperature she wants.
Which leads into the next most important thing you need, a proper thermometer. No dial stick ons, you need either a digital with probe end, or an IR temp gun.

I know it can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get all this stuff settled, it gets much easier.

Proper temperatures and husbandry are paramount for her right now, since her ailment is largely to do with the digestive system. And nothing is more important to the digestive system than proper lighting and heat.

-Brandon

Cmac

Original Poster
Thank you so much Brandon! I will do all you suggest. I did think temps were low but she came to me with the standard beginner tank which I have upgraded but I do not have a long basking bulb. I know what I'll be doing tonight! Poor thing is just struggling and since the owners are willing to just let her die I have basically adopted her and I'm trying my best. Truly appreciate your help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not a problem, I'm sure she's in good hands!

Just to clarify, I want to elaborate on the terms I use so their is no confusion.

A basking bulb, is just a bulb that produces heat and light. A type of bulb like you'd have in your lamp at home, or in your living room. They just produce light, and heat.
A UVB bulb is a bulb that produces light, and UV rays. The UVB bulb is what I was referring to as the long tube bulbs. Basking bulbs are just your standard type of bulb.

Just wanted to clarify! I feel horrible when we suggest to people to buy something, and they go out and buy the wrong thing! :(
If you have any questions before making a purchase, please ask! :D

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Making the basking spot hotter is a must, so get a hotter bulb ASAP. You can use a halogen bub from Home Depot or walmart. Feed the dragon as much baby food veggies like sweet potato, squash, green bean as well as offering applesauce mixed with a drop of olive oil + a bit of water. In the middle of the day give her a warmer + deeper than usual bath, that can work quite well. Hope to hear that she passes the impaction + does not have an actual prolapse.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless her! I am sorry she came to you in such poor condition.
Could she be trying to lay eggs possibly? Do you have any pictures of her you could post?
So you have adopted her, I cannot blame you in the least if they see fit not to take proper care
of her then.
I highly recommend one of the mentioned lights, the UVB makes all of the difference. She may
be developing metabolic bone disease from the lack of calcium, nutrition & UVB too.
What has impacted her, did they have her on sand?

Tracie

Cmac

Original Poster
Hi Tracie! Thx I’m assuming she is impacted because she hasn’t gone in over 3 weeks. She urates but painfully so. She did experience a prolapse end of June which I was able to treat It. She has none gone to the bathroom since. When she tries it looks like she is convulsing. Urates and then pushes another prolapse. My nothing else comes out. ??‍♀️ I do have pictures but I don’t k ow how to post them on this site.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, proper uvb is important now but please don't skip over the most important things which are hotter temps. ASAP as well as the natural laxatives to help her with this potentially serious impaction.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd switch over to softer bodied insects for now ie BSFL , silkworms , butterworms
see this for guidance on nutritional content of and comparison of %Protein (want high), %Fat (want low), %Moisture and Ca/P (want 1.5 or higher)
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249815

This is a very good diet and supp schedule guide for ADULT dragons :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

Regards setting up your lights :
A couple of guides ( very easy to follow - diagrams , very few words ) to work out distance from UV source to basking spot :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249815
and
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=250350

And working out how far your basking spot needs to be from the UV source , some guidance is here :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
and comparing Arcadia T5HO 6%, 12% and 14% UVB tubes
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=249112
and this is how to use the charts :
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

Regarding the impaction / prolapses - I really think you need to get her to a good reptile vet to find out what is causing this , and to work out a treatment plan ( that might involve a vet's invasive intervention ( as a last resort) , meds , and a diet change (if needed , other than what's already been suggested).

I don't recall you mentioning the substrate she's on . Can you tell us ?

Cmac

Original Poster
I am taking all this suggestions and putting them into practice so thank you all! As for the substrate she is on reptile carpeting. She also has a hammock that she loves. She’s been lapping up the baby food but today’s sugar bath only produced urine again. I don’t think I’m overreacting since she hasn’t gone in at least 3wks and there is the prolapse issue but her previous owner tho is if I just leave her alone it will work itself out ??‍♀️ I’d be more apt to do that if the prolapse wasn’t a daily occurrence.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Getting the proper temperatures is going to be the biggest help. It will allow her to actually digest. Have you had any luck with getting the temps correct yet?

Great that shes eating the baby food that will help immensely! Just remember, that temperature is vital for digestion! :)

-Brandon

Cmac

Original Poster
Hi Brandon! I did change the lights that got her up to 95/100 yesterday but I only left the red lamp on overnight and it dropped to 80. Still climbing this am. I don’t have ac on at my house so that’s not an issue but I live in RI and it’s very humid so even without water in tank the humidity is up to 60% and the temp is currently 90. I def need to work on the lighting more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you are working on the heating & lighting. It sounds like the temperatures are
doing well also.
Are the temperatures where they need to be yet? It is hard to get it all just right I know. They
can handle humidity to an extent so I wouldn't worry too much about spikes in that area right
now.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom