Fallen Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespucci

Hello has anyone had a beardie take a hard fall and not eat the whole next day he seems to be ok he ran after the fall but he has not eaten since. I sanitized his cage and basking rock with white vinegar and distilled water and put some more insects in his cage hes on his basking rock now head held high I do not have money for a vet but his fecal looked very healthy after the fall and today his fecal was much smaller I was able to get him to drink some water from his mist bottle and he seemed a little more energetic but still no appetite.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep an eye on him --- is he moving ok ? He may just not be hungry now --- if he starts to get lethargic and not moving - you might want to consider taking him into the vet --- others can also tell you what else to watch for
Karrie

Vespucci

Original Poster
thank you I was able to get him to eat a horneworm this morning and put fresh crickets but still nothing

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please post a pic of him and his tank and lighting--- we want to be sure its from the actual fall and not something else going on w/ the husbandry --
Karrie

Vespucci

Original Poster
full

Vespucci

Original Poster
I just put his UVB lamp inside of the cage instead of on the top I know the coil bulbs are not the best but Im waiting till I get paid to purchase a 24" tube bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So where is the UVB? Is it a coil? -- If it is a coil--- please replace w/ this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- ASAP----- I am thinking this is cause for the not eating and not the fall -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How soon before you replace? Also the sand mat if your getting tired of cleaning it you can look at this textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes etc............. its cheap easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cannot get underneath
Karrie

Vespucci

Original Poster
thank you so much for all the info and the quick response as soon as I get paid ill buy him a new UVB light my viv is 36" do you think a 24" fixture and 22" bulb will suffice? also if you had to choose would you choose arcadia 12% or the reptisun ?

Vespucci

Original Poster
yes its a coil UVB unfortunately, and I placed it in the corner of his tank closer to him and not blocked by the top.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yeah I am not sure that coil is gonna do him any good if anything it may do more harm because of the way it emits rays ---- I would go w/ the 24" and the Arcadia 14% bulb --- I have mine approx 13 inches from basking area -- that is what is recommended on the box -- no cover on the bulb -- the Arcadia is a good strong bulb and it only needs replaced once a year ---- same as the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 once a year but both are good bulbs so its your choice ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes post pics if it so we can see-- others on here will haft to look- we have more experienced in here that would be able to tell you--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom