Ate a flower

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Ate a flower

Postby Finleythebeardie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 am

Help my bearded dragon ate a flower out of my windowsill. I don’t know what to do
[Click image to enlarge]

He didn’t eat much, maybe half of a petal. I think the type of flower is called a begonia. Please help
Finleythebeardie
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Washinton
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Finleythebeardie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:27 am

I tried to look up if it’s toxic for him but I can’t find anything about them so I don’t know if it’s gonna hurt him. He just ate before he ate the flower so it’s not the only thing in his stomach right now.
Finleythebeardie
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Washinton

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Coliosis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:47 am

Begonias are generally considered to be toxic.

This website has a lot of great information:
http://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/toxic-and ... ts/begonia

The site mentions:
- the underground portions are the most toxic
- "the toxin amount is relatively low, so potentially life-threatening or serious intoxication of a pet from begonia (while theoretically possible) is basically unheard of."
- "towards humans, the University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension in Lancaster County lists begona as non-toxic, with the notation “that these plants have shown no more toxicity than an equal amount of vegetable matter. Symptoms are unlikely”."
- "In most cases of calcium oxalate ingestion, treatment can be managed at home. Upon finding out that your pet may have ingested a plant containing calcium oxalate; the mouth should be rinsed and flushed thoroughly with water. The animal can then be given yogurt, milk, cheese or any other source of calcium to provide relief from the pain, by possibly precipitating some of the calcium oxalate crystals."

I would keep a close eye on your beardie, but I am sure he will be fine!
-Nicole

The Coliosis Clan: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=169129&start=0
The New Enclosures: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=169580&start=0&hilit=massive Suggestions Wanted! :)
User avatar
Coliosis
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Finleythebeardie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 am

Thank you so so so much it’s been about 45 minutes since he ate it and he’s ate some of his salad with calcium powder on it from this morning I think he’s going to be ok but I’ll keep watching him closely for a while
Finleythebeardie
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Washinton

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Aaradimian » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:20 am

You should consider giving him an activated charcoal solution if you're worried. I have not done this myself, but seen it recommended in other cases where people's beardies have eaten something questionable.
User avatar
Aaradimian
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Finleythebeardie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:40 am

I think I have some activated charcoal capsules, but how exactly do I figure out dosage and how do I give it to him?
Finleythebeardie
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm
Location: Washinton

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Coliosis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 am

The two toxins in begonias are calcium oxalates and cucurbitacin B. From what I have read, activated charcoal can be used to treat cucurbitacin B poisoning, but it is not recommended for oxalate ingestion. Everything I have read says do not induce vomiting and do not give charcoal for plant oxalate ingestion. Calcium can be given to counter hypocalcemia.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in!
-Nicole

The Coliosis Clan: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=169129&start=0
The New Enclosures: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=169580&start=0&hilit=massive Suggestions Wanted! :)
User avatar
Coliosis
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Ate a flower

Postby Coliosis » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Finleythebeardie wrote:I think I have some activated charcoal capsules, but how exactly do I figure out dosage and how do I give it to him?


If you do decide to try the activated charcoal, beardeddragon.co sells a solution at a concentration of 125mg/mL, so you could aim for a similar concentration. Then give 0.4cc to 0.8cc per 100g of body weight. (eg. 1.4 - 2.8 cc for a 350g lizard)
-Nicole

The Coliosis Clan: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=169129&start=0
The New Enclosures: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=169580&start=0&hilit=massive Suggestions Wanted! :)
User avatar
Coliosis
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Ate a flower

Postby AHBD » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm

With that little amount ingested of a very mildly toxic plant there should be no problem.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23528
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Ate a flower

Postby claudiusx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:57 pm

AHBD wrote:With that little amount ingested of a very mildly toxic plant there should be no problem.

I agree.
In the future though, If more were to be ingested, you would not want to hold back on charcoal administration simply based on oxalates. It would still be best to use activated charcoal.

But in this case, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :) And I wouldn't have felt a need to administer any myself, unless he was showing signs of sickness.

How is he doing now?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16996
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users