Beardie won’t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieMS

I picked up a new baby bearded dragon on Saturday, today is Thursday. On Saturday he ate half of a worm and a cricket after I brought him home. But since then I have only been able to get him to eat one super worm and he isn’t even touching his veggies which is what they had in his feeding dish in the store. I’m not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated and he looks to be about 5-6 inches long from top of nose to vent.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Superworms are to big for a baby. Definitely no mealworms. Phoenix worms, Dubai roaches silkworms and crickets are fine. Remember no feeders bigger than the space between the eyes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, the temperatures,
supplementation & foods fed. If you can, post some pictures of him, along with your tank set
up also just so we can see light placement etc.
As mentioned, it usually takes a week or two for them to settle into a new home, also. It is a bit
stressful for them to be rehomed.

Tracie

AngieMS

Original Poster
He is in a 40 gallon long tank. I have 29 ft eco carpet for flooring and the parts of the tank that the carpet doesn’t cover has rocks and his food and a place for him to bathe and drink from. I have a repti-basking spot lamp from zoo med that is 150 watts. The gage says the tank is at 98 degrees and the humidity is a 37. I also have a zoo med 20 gallon heating pad under the tank which he sits on and he basks all day long (well as much as I see him). As far as I know he hasn’t went in the water besides the one time I placed him in there. The night I brought him home, I was unaware about what size food he could have so I fed him half of a worm and a whole cricket. Since then he has ate one super worm. (Which they are pretty tiny, at least the ones I have, but it was a little bigger than the space between his eyes). I have tried to feed him the omnivore mix reptile munchies, earth worms, Phoenix worms, and calci worms all of which he did not touch and they went to waste. I must note that I have been turning his light off at night bc he wouldn’t sleep with it on, it got down to around 75-78 each night. I was unaware there was a night heat source. So I need recommendations on what to do for him at night as well. Thank you guys for all your help. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First we need you to post pics of the tank and lighting -- you mentioned no UVB --- the heat mat I would ditch it --- dragons heat from the top not the tummies--- gage? Is that a stick on? You need to get a Infrared heat gun to get accurate temps in the tank -- a digital probe would be good for the cool side and it should be around 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- the reason hes not eating is the lighting in the tank is not correct --- dragons need lights on 12 hrs off 12 hrs --- no colored lights at all --- if you need extra heat in the tank please invest in a CHE or ceramic heat emitter - they go in a dome and bulbs are heat only no light -- they can be in 75-100 watt bulbs --- but please get a infrared heat gun before you purchase one so you have an accurate temp in the tank --- as far as UVB is this what is recommended --
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
If you dont have a UVB at all please get one ASAP--- if you have a coil UVB please replace w/ what I have given info on --- your dragon will not eat w/ out being able to digest his food and the UVB plays a huge role in his behavior digestion and overall health
Karrie

AngieMS

Original Poster
105182-11165194.jpg
105182-7082370464.jpg

I uploaded the images and copy and pasted the things here. I hope that’s right. So my lighting does emit heat. I am confused between the difference of mine And I uvb. Would I still need to use my light/heat lamp when/if I get a uvb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Absolutely!!! These lights are crucial to the development and health of your baby --- your going to need to have that bulb certain distances from your dragon ---- so please copy and paste or print the info about the UVB off and go to a pet store like Petco or Pet Smart or a reptile store if you have one like a mom and pops store and get what I have sent you ---he needs to be able to sit directly under the heat and UVB ---- he will continue to not eat w/ out these proper lighting ---- he should be eating as many crickets or dubia roaches in a 10-15 minute time frame and they should be dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- like Reptivite or jurrasi vite etc... so when your getting your lights if you get them from the store get the calcium as well -- the light fixtures for this is going to be spendy --- if you need to get them on line you can go here to look and from what I have shopped today for this is www.pangeareptiles.com --- you can get a T 5 hood fixture there for $32 and a Reptisun T 5 bulb for $20 --- there is no screen on the top do you have a screen for the tank? You need to get a Infrared heat gun -- they can be bought at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 --- please get one the stick ons are no good for accurate temps- you also need a digital probe for the cool side of the tank -- it should be around 80's during the day and not below 65 at nite --- please keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help
Karrie

AngieMS

Original Poster
105182-6753654503.jpg

I was looking on amazon for the things you said to buy. Does this look good? If it is better I can order off the website you suggested and get the T5, however I do not have a screen for the top. This tank was gifted to me and was actually used as an aquarium for a long time. If I need a screen where should I purchase it at? Also from the amazon list, is there anything that I am missing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No coil UVB -------- they are bad ------------hold off on the ceramic heat emitter till you get an accurate temp of tank --------- focus on the UVB for now ---- and the temp gun --- the digital probes are pretty cheap as well ---- I can not get the copy and paste to work so go to amazon type in search
Reptsiun 10.0 T 5 fixture and bulb -- then show me what you come up w/ ---- I have enlisted some help w/ the screen issue

https://www.pangeareptile.com/ look under UVB lights
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/295/250/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wwp2m6pZ0C.webp---this is a fixture

Karrie

AngieMS

Original Poster
105182-9448906108.jpg
So I found this. I know you mentioned that you saw one for $32 and this is $84 so a bit of a price difference my tank measures 14” in width but 48” in length and this terrium hood Is 48”. So do I need a hood that big? There were some for cheaper but I didn’t know if they had to fit my tank measurements. To go along with this am I also going to need to purchase a screen for the top or will this terrium hood that holds the light work?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You dont need a hood that big I would get a 24" hood --- look for that and I sent a link to a hood at http://www.pangeareptiles.com--- its $32 for a 24' hood --- look there and the temp gun is good --- the bulb there is $20 for the 22" bulb
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom