Baby Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srs1989

I’ve had my Beardie for about a month. He is around 2-3 months old. He was eating really good for the first 3 weeks but all of a sudden is not eating anymore. I’ve been feeding him Dubia roaches and he’s been pooping regularly but I noticed today he just looks skinny hi tale and face has shed since I’ve gotten him but his body and head hasn’t. He doesn’t seem lethargic but he just looks so skinny to me. What should I do? He will only eat like 2-3 roaches a day and so t eat anymore. Same with other bugs. I’ve tried pellets and fruits and veggies but I know he won’t eat them till he gets a little older. But I tried. I’m so worried about him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Sorry you're having trouble with your little guy.

A couple things can cause a lack of appetite. I'll go over some common ones with you and we can work on it from there.

Low appetite can be from:

Improper lighting
Improper temperatures
Shedding/other stressors
Parasites

So the easiest things to confirm first, would be that your husbandry is in order.
Can you go over your setup with us?

What are you using for a uvb bulb? Please be specific on type of bulb, brand, size, etc.
What is your basking SURFACE temp? And what are you using to measure it?

Are the dubias that you are feeding him appropriately sized or might they be a bit big?

Could you post a picture of your little guy and your tank maybe? :)

How long has he not been eating?

-Brandon

Srs1989

Original Poster
UVB- ZooMed 5.0 uvb

Surface temp is 90-100 I have three thermometers one on the cool side one on warm side and one close to the basking area.

The dubias are 1/2 inch I make sure they are the size between his eyes

I will definitely post a pic tomorrow he is asleep right now!

He’s pooping regularly but he’s only eating maybe 2-3 dubias a day and won’t eat anything else.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for answering the questions :)
A few more -

Is the reptisun 5.0 a long tube, or is it a compact bulb that fits in a standard bulb socket?\
Either way, the 5.0's are designed for tropical creatures, they give off weaker uvb. The 10.0 bulbs are designed for desert creatures, and thats what you would want to use. And if you are using the coil/compact bulbs, unfortunately that would need to be replaced too with the reptisun 10.0 tube. It spans the length of the tank to provide proper uv throughout. The compact bulbs don't, and they also put off improper wavelengths of uv, so they aren't really suitable for our dragons.

Surface temp should be raised, especially for a baby. Are you using an IR temp gun or digital with probe end to measure?
Youngins like it hotter than adults usually, i'd shoot for 105-110. This allows him to pick a good range he likes. If he likes it hot, he can get in the 110 spot. If he likes it a bit cooler, he can bask a bit further away. But 90-100 is on the low end.

Is the lack of eating recent, or has it been a couple weeks?

-Brandon

Srs1989

Original Poster
Ok will definitely get that UV bulb replaced thank you!

The surface temp may be hotter than that only because I’m reading it off of a gauge near it I havent tried a temp gun.

The lack of eating has only been recent.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great on the UV decision! If you have any questions before buying it, don't hesitate to wait and ask here. Sometimes the petstore employees can confuse, or the right item isn't bought. Just don't want you to waste any money! :D

I would definitely invest in a digital with probe end. They can be had very cheaply now at most petstores and online. Talking under 10 bucks. And it's a worthwhile investment. The dial stick on thermometers are really inaccurate. 20+ degrees off isn't an exaggeration, it's the norm! So you really can't rely on them. It's very important that you know your temperatures so you can make any adjustments you need.

Once you get those two items situated, i'm sure things will start to improve. And if not, we can troubleshoot some more if need be. :)

-Brandon

Srs1989

Original Poster
105147-5568724475.jpg

I was looking at this to get or what would you suggest?

Thank you so much for your help!

I am an amateur at this and just want him to live his best life.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No you want a Reptisun 10.0 either a T 5 or T 8 is the most common and need to go inside the tank--- 6-8 inches from basking area-- Google it and see what it looks like-- PetSmart/ Petco sell the T 8 most commonly-- I would look into getting a infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for accurate basking temps as well
Karrie

Srs1989

Original Poster
I googled it and the only thing that’s coming up is the hoods that go on top. I can’t find anything to install to the inside. I will look at my local PetSmart/pet supplies plus tomorrow.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can try this website it's where I got mine also try PetSmart s website--- pangeareptiles.com
Karrie

Srs1989

Original Poster
105147-7821322246.jpg

I have the lights inside right now until the tube lamp I ordered comes in. I have a tree thing usually for his basking but since I put the lamps on the Inside I have this for his basking. Im going to go get one of this probe thermometers today. I measured the lamp to him to make sure it was 6 inches or higher than him and it is. I have his water bowl on the other end that he doesn’t drink out of but I do give him water out of a dropper and mist him. And he is drinking water regularly. Tried to see if he would eat a roach this morning after he warmed up but still won’t eat. I’m hoping once I get the lighting situation fixed he will. Thanks y’all for your help. Will let you know when there are improvements!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you find the Reptisun hood and bulb? They dont make hoods specifically to go inside the tank --- make sure you get a temp where he is sitting for basking you dont want to cook him -- Petsmart has them on line for like $45 or $55 dollars for the hood and I think its for the T 8 bulb
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Srs1989":waxe6h4p said:
I googled it and the only thing that’s coming up is the hoods that go on top. I can’t find anything to install to the inside. I will look at my local PetSmart/pet supplies plus tomorrow.

What you need to hang / secure the hood under the (mesh ?) lid is some long cable ties/zip ties
you can pick them at any office supplies, hardware or $ shop or on Ebay , they look like this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
simply push one end of each of two ties of a length that will go around the hood through the mesh ,
wrap each around the hood and back up through the mesh
form two loops (one at each of the hood
pull tight and
wollah !!!! , secured hood.

String or mono (fishing line) will work just as well.

Will take about 1 minute.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Srs1989":2aadj0ng said:
105103-9097646847.jpg

I have the lights inside right now until the tube lamp I ordered comes in. I have a tree thing usually for his basking but since I put the lamps on the Inside I have this for his basking. Im going to go get one of this probe thermometers today. I measured the lamp to him to make sure it was 6 inches or higher than him and it is. I have his water bowl on the other end that he doesn’t drink out of but I do give him water out of a dropper and mist him. And he is drinking water regularly. Tried to see if he would eat a roach this morning after he warmed up but still won’t eat. I’m hoping once I get the lighting situation fixed he will. Thanks y’all for your help. Will let you know when there are improvements!

That dial type hydro-thermo-meter gadget is useless , those things are highly inaccurate, this means you have no real idea what the warm zone temperature is , you could be 20% out on the temperature.

The likely reasons for lack of appetite are
>>> insufficient UVA irradiation ( due to very weak UV globe ) which is too far away to provide either adequate UVA or UVB flux.
Here is a guide for setting up your UV to provide sufficient levels of BOTH UVA and UVB
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611 and a very handy graphic to help understand how to set up the tank (was provided by Arcadia Reptile Laboratories - the numbers in columns A and B are UVB flux
arcadia_bearded_dragon_lighting_guide.png

I suggest aiming for a UVB Flux at the basking spot of about 200 microW / sq.cm , simply read off the UVB flux vs distance for a similar source to those whose UVB flux vs distance is shown in the graphs
>>> it's likely the basking spot is too cool ==> slower metabolic rate and a lack of appetite.
I've been using similar thermometers like these for years and have tested some under laboratory conditions and found they quite accurate ( good within 1 degC )
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-Temperature/123776450413?hash=item1cd1a6bf6d:m:mrzaQ6W_pQrb26RnwcwUGqw

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":tg4gzv7m said:
Did you find the Reptisun hood and bulb? They dont make hoods specifically to go inside the tank --- make sure you get a temp where he is sitting for basking you dont want to cook him -- Petsmart has them on line for like $45 or $55 dollars for the hood and I think its for the T 8 bulb
Karrie

I'd give the local petshop (PetSmart) a miss and simply go online to somewhere like LLLReptile and buy the UV tube and reflector hood from them and have them shipped to you, will save the hassle of finding a petshop and parking and having to deal with know-nothing petshop sales persons.

https://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/186-fluorescent-linear-tube-uvb-bulbs
I wouldn't mess about with Zoo Med or Exo Terra tubes , Arcadia tubes are the bee's knees and come with a better warantee than all others
https://www.lllreptile.com/brands/34-arcadia
https://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/24-light-fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom