HELP! Poop is salmon color.

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby kcimkowski » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 am

Help! My bearded dragon, Xena, is about 8 mos old. I got her from the pet store that I worked at and have known her habits, behavior, and cycles since she was about 3 months old. Today I came back and she had a poop that was very solid but the part that is usually brown was a salmon color. Her urate looks normal and her behavior hasn’t changed at all. Her last normal poop was 2 days ago. I planned to monitor her next poop but I’m very nervous and was wondering if anyone knew what could be the problem. I personally don’t think it is parasites but I could be wrong!

Here’s some extra info:
She is in a 20L tank right now, but I have a 40G tank that put her in for feedings to get her used to the space. She has a reptile carpet liner with some hides and trees and things to climb on. She currently has a 13W 10.0 UVB bulb and a 100W basking bulb that typically reaches 105-113°. She just completed a beautiful shed. She typically eats Dubai roaches but the past week she has been eating crickets. Everything that goes into her body is dusted with calcium + D3. She hasn’t grown to like greens yet but I still try to feed her some collard greens that she will occasionally nibble on and she isn't keen to any fruits or vegetables yet.
The only thing that has changed was the addition of crickets, but she had previously been on a cricket diet before coming home with me. I have had her about a month with no problems of any kind.

Image
kcimkowski
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:05 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:48 am

The UVB is that a coil? If it is please get rid of it --- they are harmful to the dragon--- here is a website I just found for UVB's --
https://reptile.guide/best-uvb-bulbs-fo ... d-dragons/
If the link does not work copy and paste--- but the one most recommended on the forum is the Reptisun TUBE---- if you have any more questions please ask --
Not sure about the color of the poop --- I would try and keep her on the dubias --- crickets tend to cause parasites/ pin worms -- the eating of the vegies is normal she is still young atleast shes eating some --- I am posting a website for nutrition --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- look at that for variety and keep offering her salads every day---
Some others on here can give you insight on the poop thing
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby claudiusx » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:13 am

Has she ate any red colored salad items?
What are the crickets fed?

It's not uncommon for them to have one off poo's like that, so you're right to just monitor the next few poos. If she's not acting strange, I wouldn't worry about it.
But I would look into upgrading your UVB like Karrie has mentioned. :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby kcimkowski » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 am

KarrieRee wrote:The UVB is that a coil? If it is please get rid of it --- they are harmful to the dragon--- here is a website I just found for UVB's --
https://reptile.guide/best-uvb-bulbs-fo ... d-dragons/
If the link does not work copy and paste--- but the one most recommended on the forum is the Reptisun TUBE---- if you have any more questions please ask --
Not sure about the color of the poop --- I would try and keep her on the dubias --- crickets tend to cause parasites/ pin worms -- the eating of the vegies is normal she is still young atleast shes eating some --- I am posting a website for nutrition --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- look at that for variety and keep offering her salads every day---
Some others on here can give you insight on the poop thing
Karrie


I do not believe it is a coil... It is the reptisun compact fluorescent. The packaging doesn't say anything about a coil, but I will definitely upgrade to the tube if that is what is best!
kcimkowski
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:05 am

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby claudiusx » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:21 am

kcimkowski wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:The UVB is that a coil? If it is please get rid of it --- they are harmful to the dragon--- here is a website I just found for UVB's --
https://reptile.guide/best-uvb-bulbs-fo ... d-dragons/
If the link does not work copy and paste--- but the one most recommended on the forum is the Reptisun TUBE---- if you have any more questions please ask --
Not sure about the color of the poop --- I would try and keep her on the dubias --- crickets tend to cause parasites/ pin worms -- the eating of the vegies is normal she is still young atleast shes eating some --- I am posting a website for nutrition --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- look at that for variety and keep offering her salads every day---
Some others on here can give you insight on the poop thing
Karrie


I do not believe it is a coil... It is the reptisun compact fluorescent. The packaging doesn't say anything about a coil, but I will definitely upgrade to the tube if that is what is best!


Coil/compact are synonymous. It's a either small fluorescent tube coiled into a bulb shape, or a its a small fluorescent tube "compacted" into a bulb shape.

The long tubes are much better! The Coils/compacts don't put out very good uv.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby kcimkowski » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:22 am

claudiusx wrote:Has she ate any red colored salad items?
What are the crickets fed?

It's not uncommon for them to have one off poo's like that, so you're right to just monitor the next few poos. If she's not acting strange, I wouldn't worry about it.
But I would look into upgrading your UVB like Karrie has mentioned. :)

-Brandon


The crickets are feed Fluker's orange cube calcium supplement along with Flukers blue quencher supplement. She doesn't really eat salads and such yet, so no red items! Thanks for the reassurance! And I will DEFINITELY upgrade then. Thank you so much
kcimkowski
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:05 am

Re: HELP! Poop is salmon color.

Postby claudiusx » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 am

Well, the best way to find a cause is only change one thing at a time. I wouldn't change anything yet, since the first change is feeding crickets isntead of dubias, and see how the next poo goes. If it's still that color, you can assume its possibly coming from the crickets. If it is, try stopping with the orange cubes being fed to the crickets and try potatoes or carrots instead, and see if that causes the odd poo color to go away.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16530
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jessicasweeton22