Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdirghalli

Hello,

We have a 4-5 year old bearded dragon who was by all accounts very healthy. He had a completely normal day with normal to above normal activity all day. We put him in his tank after an hour or so outside and within minutes he became totally unresponsive and his beard and neck area are jet black. He's been like this with very shallow and very intermittent breathing for several hours. To be honest, he basically looks dead. I greatly appreciate any advice or insight. Thank you.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since it happens after being outside it leads you to believe he most likely ingested something that is giving him an issue.

Do you have any activated charcoal you can give him just incase?

Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have? Have pesticides or fertilizers been used recently?
Or are there any bites/stings on his body?

I really think you should administer some activated charcoal as soon as possible just in case.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How is he today? Was it very hot outside? While it's certainly possible he ingested something toxic like a lightning bug, it's also possible he overheated.

sdirghalli

Original Poster
The temperature was only in the low 70s, but we hadn't thought of that. We ended up taking him to a vet and they confirmed that he passed away. Her best guess was that he either ingested a toxic insect (we haven't used any pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers in many months) or was bitten/stung by something. We were with him the whole time and none of us saw him eat anything (nor did we see any insects), so it remains the saddest of mysteries. Thank you very much for your reply.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So sorry to hear about that. I'm sorry you both had to go through this. Did they see anything of the sort that might indicate a sting or bite? Based on what you described I think I'd lean more towards ingesting something based on how he was acting.

Either way, I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom