Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby sdirghalli » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Hello,

We have a 4-5 year old bearded dragon who was by all accounts very healthy. He had a completely normal day with normal to above normal activity all day. We put him in his tank after an hour or so outside and within minutes he became totally unresponsive and his beard and neck area are jet black. He's been like this with very shallow and very intermittent breathing for several hours. To be honest, he basically looks dead. I greatly appreciate any advice or insight. Thank you.
sdirghalli
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:44 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby claudiusx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Since it happens after being outside it leads you to believe he most likely ingested something that is giving him an issue.

Do you have any activated charcoal you can give him just incase?

Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have? Have pesticides or fertilizers been used recently?
Or are there any bites/stings on his body?

I really think you should administer some activated charcoal as soon as possible just in case.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14462
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby sdirghalli » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks for the reply.
sdirghalli
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 am

How is he today? Was it very hot outside? While it's certainly possible he ingested something toxic like a lightning bug, it's also possible he overheated.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 24238
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby sdirghalli » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:20 pm

The temperature was only in the low 70s, but we hadn't thought of that. We ended up taking him to a vet and they confirmed that he passed away. Her best guess was that he either ingested a toxic insect (we haven't used any pesticides/herbicides/fertilizers in many months) or was bitten/stung by something. We were with him the whole time and none of us saw him eat anything (nor did we see any insects), so it remains the saddest of mysteries. Thank you very much for your reply.
sdirghalli
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Re: Seemingly healthy to seemingly VERY sick within minutes

Postby claudiusx » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

So sorry to hear about that. I'm sorry you both had to go through this. Did they see anything of the sort that might indicate a sting or bite? Based on what you described I think I'd lean more towards ingesting something based on how he was acting.

Either way, I'm so sorry for your loss.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14462
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users