Tylosin Vs. F10sc For RI *(Surpise Eggs, possible surgery)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmwyer

So, I've been doing some research on nebulizing treatments for RIs, and I'm at an impasse. I have read good things about both Tylosin/Tylan 50 and f10sc veterinary disinfectant and I'm not sure which is considered 'best'; or if both are equally effective, which one is easiest to obtain/work with for a nebulizer/vaporizer. Any opinions and suggestions on where to buy these items would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to a bigger town a 2 counties over tomorrow, so if I can get either one at Walmart or a pet store or some supply store, I would love to start treatments right away. Thanks! :)

***EDIT: Is this the Tylan 50 that I would need to be using?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ml?cm_vc=-10005&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051

*****Second edit: Skip to page 4 for my verdict on Tylan and please try to read all of that very long post to understand why I came to my conclusion. Every bearded dragon is different, so take my opinion with a grain of salt and use your best judgement about your animal. You know your beardie better than I do, so I am not speaking for everyone, merely myself. When in doubt, see a vet. Even if it's the 50th time with no answers. You are your dragon's voice when they are not well. And explore all options if one treatment they swear by didn't work, politely but firmly suggest a new method even if it's one in which they are not familiar. If they are a good vet they will listen and research it and come back with their take on it, and hopefully together, you can work out a treatment program. It's about the health of your animal, not egos. I found that out the hard way.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Tylosin is an effective medication for stubborn respiratory infections, so if you wanted to
go ahead & get that particular one, you can use it for nebulizing your dragon.
How long has your dragon had respiratory issues?
I have seen the Tylan at tractor supply, on the shelves before so you might want to try
looking there also. There is also a store I think, called Agmart that might also have it.
If you need help with dosing, I can help you with that as well.

How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You could try F10 nebulization each day for a week or two first, this will likely do the trick from what I've read , if it's a more resistant RI , I advise seeking assessment by a reptile vet and maybe a swab taken of any mucus in the mouth for testing to assess if Tylosin will be effective or not.

If it's a viral RI , Tylosin will not help.

hmwyer

Original Poster
Her appetite is fine/meh. Like for over 2 years now she won't eat unless I hand feed her. She won't eat bugs unless I trick her by putting it on the squash stick before giving it to her. Currently she eats repashy in a sort of peanut butter consistency on the end of a butternut squash stick. Like those cheese and breadsticks things you get for a dollar at the dollar store. And then I will try to sneak a waxworm or some other bug on the repashy mix and trick her that way. She hasn't went for bugs in years. I have tried it all, trust me, so that's why I'm going this route. She is swallowing a lot mouth breathing kind of wheezing or gulping loudly and what I call coughing also. Also, mucusy. Not always bad every day, some days she seems a okay, just lethargic compared to how she used to act. Ever since she was given meds for pinworms and like hookworms or something back in 2014/15 she's never been the same. She has drastically improved, but now over the past year and a half I noticed these RI symptoms cropping up and down. And, I promise you I've tried it all short of my vet actually doing a culture because he didn't see reason to since she of course wasn't acting like she had an RI at the last 3 visits. Also, I've noticed recently when she eats she tends to hold a full chewed up stick of squash and mix in her beard, and wait a minute and kind of catch her breath quite literally before swallowing it. And that concerns me greatly, so I'm willing to try the nebulizer treatment, which to me, is a treatment that makes me a little nervous, I'm not sure why. But anyways, any help on using the tylan50 (just bought it today) would be greatly appreciated!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
hmwyer":3ggxco7q said:
Ever since she was given meds for pinworms and like hookworms or something back in 2014/15 she's never been the same.
Curiously, what was she prescribed back then?

Sorry I cant help out in regards to the nebulizer, I've never had actual first hand experience with treating an RI.

Tracie is your go to for that part :)

-Brandon

hmwyer

Original Poster
She was given Panacur and Praziquantel, but the Panacur dose was wrong for the egg cycle, so I had to have a person on a bearded dragon page with experience on this subject to help readjust it. I thought they seemed off, so I checked with that girl, but not before giving the first few doses. I've always worried I screwed her up by doing that instead of getting a second opinion, because I honestly didn't trust that vet completely. Some of what she said about bearded dragons I knew to be wrong, or at least not particularly helpful/wise advice. Anyways, I still blame that point in time for her issues and behavior now. :/

hmwyer

Original Poster
For anyone reading this post, I have begun the Tylan50 treatment, and just wanted to keep you posted on the situation. I know most don't post updates, so you never know the outcome. For anyone that may read this and want to know how the story ends and if it helped them, etc. I will be sure to give a full conclusion when I've finished the treatments, but so far so good! :D
Also, a BIG, HUGE THANK YOU to Tracie for the help! ^_^

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are very welcome. I hope that it really helps her out but definitely keep us posted on
her progress. I hope that she starts feeling better real soon.
Feel free to post pictures of her anytime as well. :D

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Week one is done, one week left. She is breathing so much better! No more gasping and full body coughing and she seems like she is actually resting well. She still has mucous and is still occasionally mouth breathing, but nothing like it was, so I know we're headed in the right direction. ^_^ She has perked up a lot and has been looking around, even tried climbing up onto her hide which she has never done, and also tried digging around her cage like she used to do. I'm thrilled by these results and I can't wait to see how this week of treatments helps her! If she's still not 100% I'll do another round with a break in between until she shows mo more signs of an RI. I'll keep you posted until I feel she's out of the woods, or if it never does, then I'll let you know when I wave the white flag. :D Thanks again everyone!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No need to change anything. It's obviously working just keep doing what you're doing already :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that is such great news, I am so happy for her!
She must be feeling quite a bit better then. I would go ahead & continue for another week
or so, since respiratory infections can harbor for a little while. At least there has been some
big improvement for her then. :D
I'm glad to hear that she has been sleeping better also!

Keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Hey, I know it's been a while since I last updated, but I wanted to wait until I had fully finished treatment before posting what, I hope, to be the conclusion. So, since giving her the medicine (2 weeks of 2 daily treatments, and one week of once daily treatments), she has 100% bounced back from the respiratory infection as far as I can tell. I will be giving it a week and making sure no signs/symptoms crop up again, if so I'll retreat and hope for eradication! As it stands, she is no longer gasping for breath, coughing, mouth breathing, whistling, or has mucous in her mouth. However, she is still not 100% her old self, so I feel like I may need to tweak either her vitamins and calcium, husbandry in some way, or perhaps she just needs to continue her weight gain journey to bring her back to full strength. I'm not sure yet, it's still definitely not over for her in terms of overall health, but that nebulizing treatment with Tylan50 I can say definitely DID help in her road to recovery. I still have yet to figure out why she ended up this way, if it was her old setup before I switched lighting and UVB, if it was stress from moving so many times before buying our house, or what. I will probably never know, but the important thing to focus on now is getting her healthy and back to chasing bugs, eating greens, and being active again. Hopefully this isn't old age setting in (she about 9 from what we know about her from her previous owners) and she's just in a funk of some kind. And don't worry, she will be going for her annual check up around September, so he'll be able to fill me in on anything he might see that I can't. I would like him to try to do the blood work-up he was unable to do last time because she was dehydrated at the time. (And yes she's been back since then, and said she appeared to be doing better in terms of weight and hydration, but he never requested to try the blood work again. And this was right when she began showing mild symptoms of RI that I brought up to him, but he didn't hear or see anything wrong at the time and between then and now she just got worse, so that's why I did try this method as opposed to the more "traditional" vet antibiotics because I just figured this was worth a shot before going yet again for the like 5th time in a year to the vet just for him to not see what I was seeing at home. Always seems the animals show me up at the vet and don't act exactly how they do here, little turds! :lol: ) Anyways, if anyone has any tips/tricks/suggestions on anything that could help her resume normal dragon shenanigans, I'm open to hearing them!
But for now, the Tylan50 conclusion is, yes it worked, and if you think you may want to try it, I would recommend it as better alternative to shots. I understand it may not be right for every case, so do take my recommendation with a grain of salt and, if you trust your vet as good reptile vet and not just one that just claims to 'treat reptiles' as I've come across in the past :roll:, absolutely listen to them first! And always take your animals to the vet if you think something is really wrong, don't wait until it's too late, also and just take them for annual visits because it's a good way to keep tabs on their progress and catch things early! Thank you all for all you've done to help me! And an even BIGGER, MEGA THANKS to Tracie for helping me behind the scenes and answering all of my long replies! You guys are great!
Hopefully this post serves to help someone else and spread the word about this particular, lesser known treatment. <3

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Genuinely brought a smile to my face. I'm so happy for you two! Hopefully this is the end of the health issues for good! :D
I'm so glad the treatment worked for you, you did the right thing! :mrgreen:

And, thank you for coming back and updating us, that is always greatly appreciated. So many people dont.

PS, i've never seen a hornworm not turn a dragon into a normal dragon, even if its only for a minute :twisted:

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbert
Top Bottom