Huge Mass

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Huge Mass

Postby Thebearded1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:31 pm

My 12 year old Beardie has a huge mass on his underside. Under left leg but mostly on the upper part of his torso. He's eating and basking in the sun and shade but this thing looks big. He does not see to be in distress. I am going to try try to post a pic. Can someone tell me how? Thoughts, suggestions? Course of action?
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Huge Mass

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 pm

You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. If it's a significant mass, then an experienced vet may need to have a look to determine the cause. It's good that it doesn't seem to be causing discomfort for him at the moment, but is possibly a serious issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later. Do you have a good vet nearby that you know of or have worked with in the past? Michigan State has a small animal clinic at their teaching hospital. They may have resources to be able to help if advanced care is needed.
CooperDragon

Postby Thebearded1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:55 am

Thank you, yes I know of a couple reptile vet nearby.

The BAD news is that I let hi outside right after this post to enjoy some sun, but I left him alone for a bit in the flower bed sleeping under some plants and came back and Poof..GONE. I have been searching High and Low. I will re-post on another thread for some tips

CooperDragon wrote:You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. If it's a significant mass, then an experienced vet may need to have a look to determine the cause. It's good that it doesn't seem to be causing discomfort for him at the moment, but is possibly a serious issue that should be addressed sooner rather than later. Do you have a good vet nearby that you know of or have worked with in the past? Michigan State has a small animal clinic at their teaching hospital. They may have resources to be able to help if advanced care is needed.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby Thebearded1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 am

My Beardie was found and now here are the pics of his mass. These were taken June 8th and it has gotten bigger. Any thoughts?

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by Thebearded1 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby tetriminoss » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:37 am

I'd suggest going to the vet immediately, that bump is not normal even to a newbie eyes of mine. Have it examined, xray-ed, etc.
Name: Tet
Length: 8 "
tetriminoss
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:56 am

I'm glad you found him! That mass doesn't look so hot. Does it feel hard or does it feel like it's filled with liquid? I definitely recommend having your vet check it out either way. It may just be a fluid build up (I'm not sure what the reason would be) or something benign, but best to have it checked out and treated as necessary.
CooperDragon

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Thank you. I am also. It's not hard, it's mushy, almost like fluid. I have an appt. tomorrow at 430p with a vet. I hope it's something simple. He is 12 years old but going strong.

CooperDragon wrote:I'm glad you found him! That mass doesn't look so hot. Does it feel hard or does it feel like it's filled with liquid? I definitely recommend having your vet check it out either way. It may just be a fluid build up (I'm not sure what the reason would be) or something benign, but best to have it checked out and treated as necessary.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 pm

I hope it's something simple too. It will be good to know what's going on in there and try to get an idea about the cause, but keep in mind that drastic measures may not be the best way to go depending on what the issue turns out to be.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby tetriminoss » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Usually mass something that's watery is caused by internal injury or any kind of injury in general. Because the blood has to bring the platelets and WBC to fix up and damage.
Name: Tet
Length: 8 "
tetriminoss
Hatchling Poster

Postby AHBD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi there, poor fella , he's a good old age and I hope this is not too serious although it does have the potential to be. The vet will prob. take Xrays and do a fine needle aspiration to see what is in there. That would be most likely 1 of 3 things....a cyst, abscess or tumor. Best wishes that it's the least serious one.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Thank you. Yea I am hoping it won't to extensive. I'll know more tomorrow. Crossing fingers and toes.

CooperDragon wrote:I hope it's something simple too. It will be good to know what's going on in there and try to get an idea about the cause, but keep in mind that drastic measures may not be the best way to go depending on what the issue turns out to be.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm

It's odd, because I had not handled him for a couple of weeks. Took him outside for a few hours and when I picked him up to take him in is when I noticed it. I thought maybe something bit him But I didn't see any bite mark. And i CANNOT say for certain that it wasn't there when I took him out. But it has grown quite a bit in the last week or 10 days.

tetriminoss wrote:Usually mass something that's watery is caused by internal injury or any kind of injury in general. Because the blood has to bring the platelets and WBC to fix up and damage.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby Thebearded1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Hello,Yes, he is still strong and doing well other than that mass now. Eating very well. Thank you, I will definitely keep this updated, after the vet visit tomorrow.

AHBD wrote:Hi there, poor fella , he's a good old age and I hope this is not too serious although it does have the potential to be. The vet will prob. take Xrays and do a fine needle aspiration to see what is in there. That would be most likely 1 of 3 things....a cyst, abscess or tumor. Best wishes that it's the least serious one.
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby Thebearded1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Ok, Vet just called after she drew some fluid (Mucus) from the mass earlier to test. It has some Red Blood Cells, White blood cell and some mucus but it also has some muscle tissue which she feels is suspicious for cancer cells. She thinks it more of a tumor than an abscess. Either way, it has to be removed or let it go and then..... :cry:

It was $200 for today with antibiotics and calcium gluconate as she feels he was a bit deficient as well as a bit thin as she thinks the mass is diverting the nutrients to feed it self. I have to fatten him up a bit, and I added a better light fixture and UVB light, that was $100.

Soooo,I take him back next Thursday for a pre-op recheck, AND decision time. He is 12 years old. The next visit would be surgery to remove the mass and either send it out or not. That will be $500-550. Then pray that it doesn't come back and he's good Or, if it grows back, either she was not able to get it all OR it is an aggressive cancer and that's that. Any thoughts out there?? I am used to spending hundreds and hundreds into the thousands on my pet cats over the years, but not on a pet Beardie. I love all animals to their last breath but what to do about this...IF we knew he would survive the surgery and live for a couple more years than I wouldn't even hesitate. It's so unknown at this stage. UGH
Thebearded1
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:05 am

The unknown is the rough part. He is still active and alert and seems happy? I can't say what to do in this situation. Tough decision for sure. I'd take his behavior into account and talk it over with your vet.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER