Help baby bearded dragon issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first bearded dragon. I believe he/she is around 2 1/2 3 months old. I got him about 3 weeks ago and I haven't been able to get him to eat consistently. Ollie ( assuming Male but unsure) was eating about 2 crickets average a day. I do offer fresh greens but not interested. I figured this was normal due to relocation stress. Then about a week and half ago he stopped eating all together unless I was holding him and putting the cricket with feeding tongs against his mouth. Starting showing signs of weakness and not really moving around so I decided to take him to the vet. Called around my area and finally found one. The vet basically couldn't tell me what was wrong. He measured him and weighted him and didn't seem to think anything was wrong but he will not eat at all now. They ended up giving him a calcium shot and maybe recommended I stopped handling him all together. Which I already have tried to not over handle considering he might be stressed. They also said my set up was good and correct temperatures and basically sent me on my way. Well as of today he wont barely move and seems to be unable to move his left side. Kinda like dragging his front and back leg on that side. I dont know what to do but he doesnt look good and I am so concerned. I'm very afraid that hes suffering or going to die and I'm trying everything I can to take the best care of him. Please help.

samconley1607

Original Poster
Also I have tried to give him reptiboost because of him not eating and he seems to like it. Licks it off his nose but doesnt seem to being helping all that much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear about poor Ollie's issues. Can you post pics of Ollie to show size and also of the entire set up. including lights ? Also pics of the size of the insects you are feeding him. Many new owners start off with the wrong type of uvb [ coil or compact ] and distance is usually off as well. Is Ollie a pet store dragon ? Many stores don't take proper care of their dragons to start with so you bring home a baby that had a rough start. You can still definitely handle Ollie, just not for long periods. It's good that he's taking some Reptiboost and even if you have to hand or tong feed him, keep that up. Just be 100 % sure the insects are smaller than the distence between his eyes. BTW, most vets know almost zero about treating beardies or reptiles in general. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

samconley1607

Original Poster
Ok thank you for your reply. I did upload some pictures. I did originally get the 20 gallon bearded kit only to find out that I basically had to replace everything in it. I did get new temp gauges with the probes. I have one set up on the basking area along with one on the cool side. It runs 105-110 on the basking and around 80-90 on the cool. His humidity gauge is in the middle and usually runs 25-35 sometimes going alittle higher because we have had alot of rain here. I did replace the uvb that was included in the kit. I had tried the zilla slimline with dessert but he hated it so I returned that and went with the powersun uva uvb heat and light in one and so far he likes that one. I have fed him small crickets and a few small dubia but ended up finding pinhead crickets which are actually smaller than the width between his eyes. I didn't get to upload the pictures of the crickets but will when home. I do dust them with calcium and three times a week with multivitamins. We did get him from a pet store where he was housed alone. He does have a choice in his distance to basking. One being about 6 inches and another around 8 inches. The log I have has three different levels basically.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry Ollie isn't doing well!
You are using a Powersun MVB correct, a 100 watt it looks like. Since you have him in a 20
gallon tank, it is possible it is too hot & a bit to overwhelming in the smaller tank. You could
try moving it up just a bit more in case it's too close.
The thermometers you are using, are they digital probes or stick on types?
Also, in a 20 gallon, it is an ok size but still a little hard to control the temperatures. He might
be getting too hot perhaps. What type of lights are mounted on the opposite end of the tank
in the dual fixture?

Tracie

samconley1607

Original Poster
Hi
I'm using the probe digital temperature gauge. Input the one probe right on the highest part of his basking spot and usually stays right around 105. I also have a temperature gauge with a probe on the cool side. Usually stays around 80 on that side. In the dual lamp fixture is a basking spot lamp and 100 watt mercury vapor bulb. The other fixture is a dome which came with the starter kit I bought which I dont use anymore because it contained the coil type light and researched that those are bad for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well he isnt going to be in that 20 gallon tank long --- he will be outgrowing here real soon- I would recommend getting a IR gun I am wondering if you are cooking him -- a basking spot lamp and 100 watt mercury vapor bulb is too much heat---- what is the basking spot lamp watt? I would recommend getting this for your UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- its going to be alot easier to control the temps in the tanks you will end up getting--- and for that I recommend you go as big as you can -- they recommend 75-120 gallon tank --- w/ front doors -- but I would get a actual basking temp w/ a IR gun -- I would replace the UVB as soon as you can
Karrie

samconley1607

Original Poster
I do plan on getting him a larger enclosure as he gets older. I plan on ordering a custom build enclosure instead of using a glass tank, but since he is so small I chose the smaller tank for now. Also I actually just got the mercury vapor bulb to replace the other one I had in there which was a reptisun 10 coil. Read those are not good for beardies. As far as the basking bulb, I will stop using that. Any suggestions on what I can use for additional light because it seems to be alittle dark with just the mercury bulb vapor bulb. Just something for light purposes not heat. I definetly want to get the reptisun t5 10 long bulb but couldn't get that to fit in this tank and heard that the mercury was as good for small tank..? I will be getting the long bulb for the bigger enclosure though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can use a regular household bulb like a 60 watt for light-- just put it in a reg done---
Karrie

samconley1607

Original Poster
Thank you
Ollie seems to be doing better today. He still doesn't seem to be able to use his left side back and front legs but hes basking and moving around some. He did take a big poo today lol I'm not sure what exactly is going on. He still isnt interested in eating. When I took him to the vet three days ago they gave him a calcium shot, could that cause weakness on the one side of his body? The vet was recommended to me but I feel he really wasnt helpful at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not sure why hes not using the one side of his legs- he does need a good UVB tho if hes having issues already-- has the temp in the tank come down - for such a small space and w/ the 2 high wattage bulbs I am sure that tank was too hot- I would invest in a Infrared heat gun- its going to give you the most accurate temps in the tank and you will need it for your bigger tank anyway--- Ollie needs to be as close to the UVB that he can depending on the bulb you get--- w/ the 20 gallon tank you can take the Reptisun and put it across the tank like vertical instead of the horizontal so if he wants to get away from it he can -- I guess I would separate the basking and the UVB so you can control the heat better in that small tank
Karrie

samconley1607

Original Poster
His heat is 104 on the basking log. I will order a heat gun to measure and the reptisun. Is the mercury vapor bulb not good for uvb? I bought it thinking it was a really good bulb and great reviews on it. It was quite expensive so maybe I can return that for the other. Just having trouble finding a suitable size for his tank so it's not across the whole length.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 fixture and bulb--- dont worry about the size for your tank now -- your going to invest for your future tank which is not long off--- so you just need to get the size you want - they come in 24" for the T 5 and longer- straddling it across the tank width wise instead of long wise would be a good bet -- its a stronger bulb and hes going to benefit from that bulb- and yes these ones are spendy -- I have heard the Powesun was a good bulb as well but to try and control the heat and UVB is hard - its just better to separate the 2 - or atleast for me --- others on here have had success I believe-- check out www.pangeareptiles.com for the Reptison 10.0 T 5 fixture and bulb- I think the fixture came w/ a 5.0 bulb you dont want that --- its the 10.0 --- I ended up ordering the T 5 fixture w/ the 5.0 bulb but also ordered the Arcadia 14% bulb --- so that is what is in my tank now - the 5.0 bulb I was told is equivalent to the T 8 bulb --
Karrie

samconley1607

Original Poster
Ok I will order that asap. As far as him not eating on his own. What should I do. I'm willing to do anything I can for this lil guy. Hes part of the family now and I want him to thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom