Basking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnhall1

Freddie my bearded dragon of 5 ish months, isnt basking he just sits in his hide, when i check up on him his eyes are tired, he sleeps at 8 and wakes up at ~8, he is now on spring greens with lots of calcium he has a uvb 10% bulb and a basking lamp, his cage is 3.7 feet long and he east supers and mealworms (not allowed crickets or dubias) cpuld this be an issue, he doesnt really poo in his cage he just does it in the bath i was wondering if this will be an issue

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds like a lighting issue -- please post pics of your tank and lighting --- super worms and meal worms should not be fed as a staple - he is to young for meal worms- you can order BSFL as a staple for protein --- you would need to order a lot as they are very small -- plus is you dont need to dust them w/ calcium --- some others on here can give you an idea of how many to feed --- and how many to order--- they are also known as nutri grubs --- calci worms --- phoenix worms--- please look into those as feeders
Karrie

Finnhall1

Original Poster
KarrieRee":257ynzdt said:
It sounds like a lighting issue -- please post pics of your tank and lighting --- super worms and meal worms should not be fed as a staple - he is to young for meal worms- you can order BSFL as a staple for protein --- you would need to order a lot as they are very small -- plus is you dont need to dust them w/ calcium --- some others on here can give you an idea of how many to feed --- and how many to order--- they are also known as nutri grubs --- calci worms --- phoenix worms--- please look into those as feeders
Karrie
https://imgur.com/a/2UKmoPo
I have a different basking spot, and a different ammount of decor but the lighting is the same

Finnhall1

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1cn2tzb1 said:
Karrie
However, he doesnt eat bsfl when i offer them, he just ignores them And goes hungry

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so I am gonna say this the UVB is not strong enough -- here is some advice on what is recommended on this forum for UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would get this changed out ASAP--- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- get your UVB changed out and start again w/ the BSFL --- why isnt it you cant get crickets or dubias ? Are you in a apt -- ? His eating has alot to do w/ the lighting in the tank -- please check out the nutrition website it will give you other ideas of what to feed him -- he does need the protein ----
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom