Lethargic, low appetite, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a vet visit for Squirt this Saturday. For quite some time now (months) my 1.5 y/o dragon has had a low appetite. I’d give him a salad everyday and he never touched it. He wasn’t crazy about crickets, roaches, or bfsl. The only thing he really loves is super worms but I don’t like giving him them often because of the fat content. The last month, I have been offering him bugs only once or twice a week to get him to eat his salads and I’ve gotten him to take a couple bites of salad each day but that is it (barely any). the reason I didn’t take him to the vet months ago is because he had so much energy and seemed healthy, I thought maybe he just doesn’t like to eat a lot. But for the past month, his activity has decreased dramatically. He doesn’t really move much at all. If I get him out, he walks a couple steps and stops. I am thinking he might have parasites, so two days ago I dropped off a poop sample to the vet. I haven’t gotten a call back yet, but his appointment is Saturday morning. My worry is that the vet will prescribe him something that will kill him so I was hoping you guys could tell me some medications NOT to give him. I will hopefully be able to post his results to you by Saturday. Also, when I dropped the poop sample off two days ago, that was the first time he pooped in 2.5 weeks. I tried baby food, baths, and olive oil and it eventually worked. Right now I’m really worried because he is not acting like his active self. He is pretty skinny, although he has only lost 5 grams this month, I think he is 395g right now. There were periods of time in the past where he would lose 10-15 grams or more, but eventually he’d gain it back because I’d try everything there was to get him to gain weight. If there’s any advice before the vet visit I’d appreciate it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post pics of your tank and lighting --- your describing a lighting issue it sounds like -- we can better help you w/ what we see ---
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That isn't a lot of weight loss which is good. At 395g he's pretty small though for a year and a half old. I agree that there may be an issue with lighting which may be affecting him. If you take him outside and let him sit in the sun on your lap, does he show signs of perking up at all? Please let us know what the vet says about the parasite test results. The meds given usually depend on the type of parasite detected and the quantity. Low quantities of parasites, especially common ones like pinworms, are often left untreated since a dragon's system can keep them in check pretty well.

Brittany26

Original Poster
He has the reptisun 10.0 t5 tube uvb light, for the heat he has a par38 halogen bulb, I’m pretty sure it’s like 75w. To measure the temp I have a digital thermometer from zoo med.. I’m not sure how accurate it is, I just put the reader on his basking spot and I’m leaving for work now so when I get back I’ll let you know the temperature. Last time I checked I think it was decently high at 115 degrees in the basking spot. I do like to take him outside whenever I can, he will stand still for about 20 minutes in the sun and then take off running with a lot of energy. Today he ate a bunch of baby food and I let him have a few super worms. He could eat them forever but I don’t want him to get fatty liver disease so I might go to petco after work to get crickets and hornworms. I can post a picture of him and his cage when I’m home!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. The T5 ReptiSun 10 is a good bulb and the PAR38 halogen is what I use for basking as well. How old is the bulb? How far is it sitting above his main basking area (should be around 12'')?

Brittany26

Original Poster
So here’s the pic of him and his cage.
http://tinypic.com/r/2yv6kww/9

That’s the spot he’s been sitting at and doesn’t move all day. After about 10 minutes of the probe taking the temp it is reading 134 degrees... it was not that hot months ago when I got it in winter. Could the heat be a reason why? I just replaced both the UV light and the halogen bulb because the old one burned out. He use to bask on the hammock all the time up until he got really sick this month. He hides in his cave or sits on the floor. And I’m not home right now but the uv light and bulb is pretty close to the hammock if you can’t tell in the picture, I can measure it when I’m home

Ps I don’t know how accurate the temperature gauge is, I should probably buy a temp gun, is there one you recommend that isn’t too expensive?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say 134 is way tooooooooooooooo hot -- the digital is measuring ambient air temp--- basking temps should be around 95-105 or so ---- the par halogen is way to hot for my tank I was getting temps over 200 degrees w/ it- what is in the domes you have on top of tank -- I see the basking halogen and the UVB it looks is on top of screen -- what type of screen - the T 5 can usually go on top of screen as long as its a wide screen and not fine mesh-- to be on the safe side for UVB I would put it in the tank approx 10-11 inches from basking but I would get that basking temp down that is why he is on the floor of tank--- its too hot --- just a $10 infrared heat gun is good --- I got mine from Walmart - I ordered it on line --- or you could look at Home Depot or Lowes etc................
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where is the digital probe reading the 134F, directly in the spot where he is basking?
I agree, the tube UVB will need to be mounted underneath of the screen for maximal
UVB exposure.
He could definitely be getting too hot. He could also be slowing down some, for a semi-
brumation phase which some do have a tendency to do at this age.
His weight loss isn't bad either. You made the right decision, by not medicating him. Too
many times vets medicate for no good reason & that can harm them absolutely.
You could try supplementing him with bee pollen, which is highly effective for help with
their appetites.

Tracie

Brittany26

Original Poster
Yes the probe was on the hammock which is his basking spot, I went to lowes and bought a 50w halogen bulb today and he seems to like it more and is basking on the hammock. I still need to get a temp gun to make sure it’s the right temperature. I actually already bought bee pollen from bug de lite last year and give it to him every week! He also ate about 20 large crickets. He seems better than yesterday but he still is not his normal active self.
And Drache, his vet visit is tomorrow so there’s a chance the vet might prescribe him something if his fecal came back positive.. I will let you know tomorrow

Brittany26

Original Poster
The vet said he has pinworms, a moderate case. He said he is 2 plus, meaning on a scale from 0-4. He is prescribing him flagyl (metronidazole 250 mg/ml once now and again in two weeks), and panacur liquid (100 mg/ml once a day for five days). he said it would increase his appetite and kill any parasites he has.Any thoughts on this medication? I don’t know If i should give him these meds considering the vet said he doesn’t have “a lot” of pinworms. Also instead of mounting uv light in his cage I cut a rectangle into the mesh, and I gave him a 45w halogen bulb and the probe is reading 105. I am going to look for a temp gun today

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Panacur is relatively easy on their systems and tends to be effective against Pinworms. Hopefully that will help. The Metronidazole is used as an antibiotic and anti parasitic med as well, but I'm not sure if both meds would be needed at once like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom