Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby kouzimi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:00 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

Hi everyone, my beardie Achilles has been pooping pretty runny for the last week or so. It doesn't have a shape and there's the occasional superworm head that appears to be undigested. It also has a puddle of what seems to be water or a clear liquid surrounded it. His pee has a solid shape and he is hydrated. He usually poops when I'm in classes, so when I get home any smell is gone. However, one time it did smell awful.

He's been eating fine and he's been very active and social. I know it's likely to be parasites, but I wanted to double check on what y'all thought before I booked an appointment.

If it isn't a parasite, any suggestions on any changes I could make to make him more comfortable and have more solid poops?
kouzimi
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Post a pic of the poop- others can weigh in on what they think--- you can see if you can drop off a fecal sample first and have it checked -- then if he does have parasites then you can take him in-- that way if he doesnt have them then you have at least saved some money there- what is he eating? What kind of lighting do you have -- brand and bulb? What are his basking temps- ? all this plays a role in digestion - post a pic of your tank and lighting please
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10931
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby kouzimi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:03 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Post a pic of the poop- others can weigh in on what they think--- you can see if you can drop off a fecal sample first and have it checked -- then if he does have parasites then you can take him in-- that way if he doesnt have them then you have at least saved some money there- what is he eating? What kind of lighting do you have -- brand and bulb? What are his basking temps- ? all this plays a role in digestion - post a pic of your tank and lighting please
Karrie


I'll post the picture when I have some light tomorrow, but I have a Zoomed 25W UVB light as well as a 125 W ceramic heat emitter on his basking side. His cool side is around 80 degrees, and his basking area is 90-100 degrees depending on where he is (usually hangs around the 90 degree part). Hopefully he poops tomorrow so I have something more accurate to show a picture of!
Regarding the vet, is there usually any charge to drop off the fecal sample and have it checked? If so, do you mind me asking what that ranges as well as the visit itself? I haven't had a reason to take him until now.
kouzimi
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby kouzimi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:08 pm

kouzimi wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:Post a pic of the poop- others can weigh in on what they think--- you can see if you can drop off a fecal sample first and have it checked -- then if he does have parasites then you can take him in-- that way if he doesnt have them then you have at least saved some money there- what is he eating? What kind of lighting do you have -- brand and bulb? What are his basking temps- ? all this plays a role in digestion - post a pic of your tank and lighting please
Karrie


I'll post the picture when I have some light tomorrow, but I have a Zoomed 25W UVB light as well as a 125 W ceramic heat emitter on his basking side. His cool side is around 80 degrees, and his basking area is 90-100 degrees depending on where he is (usually hangs around the 90 degree part). Hopefully he poops tomorrow so I have something more accurate to show a picture of!
Regarding the vet, is there usually any charge to drop off the fecal sample and have it checked? If so, do you mind me asking what that ranges as well as the visit itself? I haven't had a reason to take him until now.


Oh, I forgot to add in his diet. He usually eats bok choy with some fruit I have as well as mealworms and superworms. I recently switched to celery and carrots because my grocer stopped selling bok choy, however I don't think Achilles liked it that much so I just bought some arugula for him to try out.
Sometimes I miss the weekly calcium and multivitamin dusting on his food, however it isn't that often so I didn't think it could affect him that much.
kouzimi
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby destiny1998 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 am

Hi. For starters he needs a bright white basking light. CHE are for night time. The uvb needs to be replaced with a reptisun 10.0 T5. Also he should be getting calcium 5x a week. How old is he? No mealworms. Superworms are more for a treat. Dubai roaches, crickets, rept I worms and Silk worms are way better feeders. Hope he feels better.
destiny1998
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4369
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby kouzimi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 pm

destiny1998 wrote:Hi. For starters he needs a bright white basking light. CHE are for night time. The uvb needs to be replaced with a reptisun 10.0 T5. Also he should be getting calcium 5x a week. How old is he? No mealworms. Superworms are more for a treat. Dubai roaches, crickets, rept I worms and Silk worms are way better feeders. Hope he feels better.


Thanks for your feedback! I have a white basking light, however I found that it was way too hot and he wouldn't spend any time on his basking rock, so I opted for the CHE which he seems to like better. I will try it again though or see if there are any with less watts! I'll give him calcium and multivitamins more often then, however I have read that after a certain length they're ok with getting it weekly. The pet store didn't give me a precise age, but I'm pretty sure he's around a year old. Any recommendation for websites that sell those feeders (except for crickets)?
kouzimi
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: Beardie active, eating well, but has runny poop?

Postby destiny1998 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks for answering. Actually when they are adults they need vitamins once a week and calcium 3x a week. If you Google live feeders for dragons a bunch of sites will come up.
destiny1998
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4369
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]