Help front legs swollen and notice possible tail rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldramirez

New owner we have this bearded dragon for about 10weeks. We did so much research on this forum and u tube to make sure we are trying to do everything right and it seemed we still failed. We have a reptisun 10.0 t5 uvb on top no screen, 100 watt heat bulb. He has been eating about 10-18 crickets for a few weeks and endive and mustard greens a little each day. The first 1 or 2 weeks we bought him he didn’t eat anything. So we were happy everything seemed good until 2 weeks ago. I started feeding him escarole greens and he loved them. After the third day he stopped eating. No crickets no greens. We noticed one arm he was favoring. Limping a little and then Very swollen. We thought he jumped and injured it. we bought wax worms to try to get him to eat. He ate like 10 in one day. The next day his other arm swelled terribly. Reading up I thought it could be qout. I gave him black cheery juice for two days . And took him to the reptile vet. No injuries and the reptile vet said he looked great. I think 105.00 waste. My daughter said his tail looked like tail rot is starting and after checking into it it looks worse than we realized. We are thinking that maybe the swollen front legs could be because of not shedding properly. We are treating his tail for tail rot. Bathing him 2 times a day and trying wax worms still because that’s the only thing he will eat. I don’t think we have him enough calcium powder from the beginning so we are putting calcium w/d3 on everything we can get him to eat. Help we are so confused on what to do and everyone says something different including the vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that your dragon is having problems. :( Is he housed alone ? First off, pics will be very helpful. Get some pics with both front feet , then a pic of his tail . Also pics of the size crickets you were giving him. Here's how to post :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Ldramirez

Original Poster
No he is alone. He gave him crickets that was no larger than the space between his eyes. Now sometimes they seemed big but we had them so long. Because he wouldn’t eat. But we only buy small ones. Now this is just the body size between his eyes not the entire cricket. Should it of been the entire cricket no larger than his eyes?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I forgot to ask if he's from a breeder or pet store ? I can't tell if that's swelling or just the optical illusion when the shed is coming away from the body slightly. Is he walking O.K. now , the same or worse ? The crickets length from mouth to rear should be no more than the size between beardies eyes. Those in the pic look fine. BTW, cut out the waxworms or he'll get spoiled and refuse other insects. Go back to crickets and try some bsfl [ black soldier fly larva ] sold as Phoenix, calci or reptiworms. Oh, and his tail is just going to shed, they can get dark either way though. No tail rot . :)

Ldramirez

Original Poster
Really about no tail rot???? The pic doesn’t justify it. The tip is super black. And my daughter did a treatment with Bernadine and neosporin . She said it seems lighter but times it gets really black. If it’s not we are so so happy. Well we did get it from pet smart. And got suckering in spending all that money. After reading things hear I had to spend more money and change things to get the better uvb ect... after soaking him 20mins 3 times in 3 days yes it’s a lot better and he is gripping better with the front legs but not totally. His right is a lot less swollen than it was but the left seems the same . The right shedd some off yesterday but none on the left yet. Pet smart is terrible. If it wasn’t for this site and we listened to pet smart the crickets would of been Hugh. Sad.. we have been trying crickets and dobia roaches for 2 days and he won’t touch them. There aren’t Cali -they are sold out. Only horn worms and super worms witch all look ginormous . So my daughter tried wax again and he ate them. I can try to find the others you mentioned. But it’s hard. I never thought this would be so difficult to take care of. Thanks for all your help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, his tail is fine. :) BTW, did you set him up with the Reptisun t5 right away or was it after a while ? Just wondering how long he didn't have a good uvb, that may have started his leg problems. It does sound like he's doing better though ! And just keep offering the crickets + dubia, he won't starve himself. If the crickets are fast, just cripple a few of them before you offer them to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am so glad you came to the forum to get some answers for your little dude--- hope AHBD has helped ---
Karrie (kaylyn)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Between being in the store with bad uvb and then 2 weeks at your place he may have developed a calcium deficiency that affected his legs. Now that you have the good bulb he should hopefully do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom