Beardie Quite Underweight, how do i get him to gain weight?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Postby CJRyse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:56 am

My male is around 17 inches and about 300g. I think he is around 2 and a half years old.
I have had him for about a year and have had a couple problems. When i first got him, he took quite a long time to settle in and he didn't eat too much either. After that, a few months ago he had a bad mite problem, due to there being a lot in some wood chips from pets at home. I tried everything and after a month or so, I was able to fully rid of them. He did not eat much through this period as well as i think he found it stressful due to the things we had to do to try and treat him so much.

He eats fine now, and has 4-8 locusts per day as he sometimes likes to eat a lot! I feed him greens occasionally and trying to get him to eat more as he has never been too keen. I would like to know how to fatten him up and get to a healthy size.

Please leave any tips you have.

Thanks,
Ben
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie Quite Underweight, how do i get him to gain weig

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:14 am

I think there is some stuff you can use one of the others on here would haft to recommend that -- I would start by feeding him a good salad every day -- greens like mustard collard turnip you can mix them fruits apple strawberries raspberries grapes etc NO citrus! Offer a variety ---- you can feed him butter worms horn worms -- butter worms are fattening so I would go sparingly w/ those but they should put some weight on him --
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby CJRyse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:01 am

My male is around 17 inches and about 300g. I think he is around 2 and a half years old.
I have had him for about a year and have had a couple problems. When i first got him, he took quite a long time to settle in and he didn't eat too much either. After that, a few months ago he had a bad mite problem, due to there being a lot in some wood chips from pets at home. I tried everything and after a month or so, I was able to fully rid of them. He did not eat much through this period as well as i think he found it stressful due to the things we had to do to try and treat him so much.

He eats fine now, and has 4-8 locusts per day as he sometimes likes to eat a lot! I feed him greens occasionally and trying to get him to eat more as he has never been too keen. I would like to know how to fatten him up and get to a healthy size.

Please leave any tips you have.

Thanks,
Ben
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

Postby CJRyse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:03 am

Thank you, i will start to buy some!
CJRyse
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Reptilelady » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 am

Hi, some great feeders are dubia roaches super easy to gut load. You can also buy some silkworms as well and Phoenix worms aka nutrigrubs/ black soldier fly larvae they are loaded with calcium. You can use this website: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html has a lot of useful information on nutrition :D
Reptilelady
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:46 am

You may want to reverse the offerings - give greens and other veggies daily, and insects less often. Adults need more produce than bugs. Beardies have such a variance in sizes/weights that are all normal - why do you feel he's very underweight? Does he look too thin? You can try something like ReptiBoost to stimulate his appetite and there are several other options for getting some extra nutrients into him - Oxbow Critical Care is a good one. Or look on this site for the various recipes for making your own slurry to feed him. There are several other kinds of live feeders you could try as well, if you can get them where you are (your use of locusts makes me think you must not be in the US). Maybe post pics of your beardie for the more knowledgeable members (there are several excellent advisors on here) to help you determine if he really is underweight. They like to see pics and a rundown of the housing/lighting, etc. as well, in case any adjustments may be needed in those areas.
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Moved & Merged by Moderator to keep topics together.
Drache613

Postby Drache613 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup for us, just so we can
see his physical condition & his lighting placement.
How is he doing today?
As suggested, good quality protein but not necessarily higher fat insect protein helps them
to gain healthy weight. You can try silkworms or hornworms also, both of which are higher
protein feeders but also a good water content also.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER