My Beardies head and shoulders are discolored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieOwner99

I think it may be a cause of her sitting out from her hide exposing just a little amount of her shoulders and her head. Causing the coloring from her UV light.. I’m not sure. I don’t think it is shed though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep, that's just an area that is still getting ready to shed. It doesn't look like anything to be concerned with.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
It's pre-shed coloring, It's perfectly fine and natural and it happens all the time, nothing to worry about. :)

PS: I took a closer look at the second photo, It sort of looks like he has a particle substrate for him? What substrate is it?

BeardieOwner99

Original Poster
HippieLizards":2qrw2yph said:
It's pre-shed coloring, It's perfectly fine and natural and it happens all the time, nothing to worry about. :)

PS: I took a closer look at the second photo, It sort of looks like he has a particle substrate for him? What substrate is it?

It’s a “ground English walnut shells” substrate. It was recommended to me by a friend who has been using it for years. I was struggling to find the right substrate because she has MBD (I got her as a rescue), I was able to slow the process and nearly stop it, but she still struggles to move her wrist and legs. I had repti carpet. But because she struggles with her feet, her claws have grown quite long, and would get stuck. Not quite sure what to do in that department. I’ve looked into rougher substrate to help trim down her nails as much as possible when she walks normal, however when she can’t bend her wrists it scrapes up her wrists and legs where they touch the ground when she drags or walks on those parts. It’s been an adventure trying to sort it all out.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Oh dear. Ok I'm sorry to tell you that you've been horribly misinformed. You must remove those Walnut shells ASAP.

ground walnut shell is like broken glass for Beardies, It has zero good qualities. It'll cut up your dragon inside and out unfortunately. It's only good use is for cleaning up oil spills IMO.

For a Beardie with MBD, I had a dragon who was slightly similar to yours (partially paralyzed, had MBD and many other problems). I did many different Substrates for him, and What worked Best for him was a mix of Tile and carpet tile I think it's called, and paper towels. The tile was rough enough for him to Get around well and it filed down his nails (I also had a couple short rocks for him to climb
On as well). The carpet was probably the best thing for him because he could easily crawl around on that. It wasn't actual repticarpet but a literal tile of carpet that we got from Lowes I believe. It looked like this: View media item 61020He slept in the oddest positions.

So I'd recommend doing tile For her and having some small rock Slabs (like what you'd get at Lowes for like 50 cent each). For her to climb on and file down her nails.

But please do Remove the walnut shell ASAP. Your dragon will thank you. Especially since she has MBD, A Solid substrate would be the best for her.

Good luck on Helping her with her MBD and finding a good substrate.

[EDIT:]
BeardieOwner99":1a38k5t6 said:
I’ve looked into rougher substrate to help trim down her nails as much as possible when she walks normal, however when she can’t bend her wrists it scrapes up her wrists and legs where they touch the ground when she drags or walks on those parts. It’s been an adventure trying to sort it all out.
Ok, If she has does get scraped up like that then Linoleum might be a good fit for her, It's cheap, easy to clean up, they can get around on it well, and it's soft enough that it doesn't Scrape them up. That would probably be your best bet for her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom