How to treat a splintered toe nail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
104548-400738684.jpg
104548-9779546707.jpg
I noticed that one of Vincent’s nails was crooked, and upon further inspection, I noticed dried blood (a very tiny amount), along with the main nail (dark) almost separating from the light part.

When moving the nail, he retracts it out of pain. What can I do to get rid of the splintered nail to avoid Vincent causing himself further injuries? I want to cut the whole thing off, but it’s still somewhat connected. I feel so sorry for my beardie.

Should I apply rubbing alcohol? I really want to get rid of the part of the nail that is almost sheared off, but I don’t know what to do. I don’t want him to hurt himself on carpet or logs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
no rubbing alcohol!!!! One of the others on here can help w/ the toe---- but no rubbing alcohol please!!
Karrie

lazyfortress

Original Poster
Glad I asked, thanks!

As for the splintered toe nail, what should I do to avoid Vincent from hurting himself more?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If you have a mesh hammock take it out---- I would need to see the tank and let you know as well as others for potential accidents-----------please post a pic of the tank
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Leave it alone if it's not bleeding and not worrying her.

If it's sore , soak the injured limb in 10% betadiene twice daily for 10 minutes . If you have a small medicine cup or nip glass , this is perfect for the job.

I think the nail will heal and the damaged bit of nail will eventually come off of it's own accound with her crawling about.
Keep an eye out for swelling / infection of the toe and limb, if any swelling or it starts weeping pus I suggest a reptile vet attend to the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom