Help to save my daughters Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisa26

Last night my daughters bearded dragons started twitching and not being able to use his hind legs. This morning I went in to check on him and he/she is just laying there. Touched her head and she started twitching again. She is under a year old. But has been eating well. Not sure last time it pooped. To young to tell sex yet. She is in a middle of a head shed. Any ideas?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of tank and lighting and her - go to top of page in banner - click on user image uploader- down load pics - click on reply and at top of message box click in XIMG - pics should post --- where did you get the dragon from ?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok here is some info on the UVB----Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- still post pics of the tank and lighting when you get home -- we can help more from there
thank you
Karrie

If you are unsure of the last time she pooped it could be an impaction. Especially if she continues to eat but does not poop. This could cause hind leg paralysis. I would try to stimulate a bowel movement by soaking her in a shallow tub of warm water (roughly 85 - 90°) and see if she will go poop for you.

If an impaction is not the cause of the issue - it would be best to review your set up including temps on basking area and cool area. As well as the distance from her basking spot to her UVB. Is the UVB placed on top of the screen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Why is the tank blocked off? Second I would be getting a hide for her --- what size tank do you have her in? Does she climb that log w/ it being straight up like that?
Karrie

alisa26

Original Poster
She is in a 40 gallon tank. the tank is blocked off so she doesn't get too far from her heat source.The log is at a slant. Bad angle on picture. She spends a lot of time basking on it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the lighting for dragons is crucial --- the UVB needs to go inside the tank ---- is it a T 8 bulb or a T 5 bulb? the info I sent earlier will tell you where it needs to go --- please unblock the tank --- she needs the floor space and I would look at getting some better decor for her a hide for sure - if you plan to upgrade her tank I would highly suggest - a 75 or 120 gallon tank would be good --- w/ that in mind you can get some textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot Lowes etc which is cheap and very easy to clean -- bugs cannot get under it --- what is her diet? are you dusting her bugs w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week ? My guess shes not eating is because of the UVB --- she needs to be able to get under it to get the full effects of the rays -- no cover over the bulb --- but she needs something to be able to bask on --- how are you taking temps? that is another factor her basking temp needs to be 95-110 for a baby and an accurate reading taken from a infrared heat gun- can be purchased from Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 -- all this is crucial for a healthy dragon -- the UVB is going to prevent MBD ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom