Has anyone had this experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a baby bearded dragon, 6 1/2 inches long not sure how much he weighs but def looks to be thinner than when I got him, I’ve had him for two-three weeks now. He ate the first few days I had him. But then stopped eating, didn’t eat anything for a little over a week. I took him to the vet and the vet aid he looked good, didn’t do any testing and sent me on my way with a dewormer just in case and something that would help with stimulating his appetite, still didn’t eat, he ate some really extra small crickets yesterday but no insects today, the past couple days once a day or twice today I fed him some baby food with a little medicine dropper and he seems to like that..... he has been shedding all along too, every other day a diff part of his body is shedding, does anyone know anything about what’s going on? He sleeps on me every night until
I wrap him in a washcloth and put him to bed. His temps are around 85 give or take on the cool side, 95-110 on the warm and basking spot. I’m very worried I don’t wanna lose the little guy but he’s not eating and the vet really gave me no answers or suggestions. They told me to call if he still doesn’t eat which he hasn’t, so I will be calling in the morning but wanted to hear some advice from some people that may have some ideas or experience! Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of your set up tank and lighting --- lighting plays a huge role in their behavior--- I am also guessing its relocation stress going on as well but we need to see what you have for lighting and how its set up
go to top of page and in the banner click on user image uploader- download pics - click reply on top of message box click on XIMG --pics should post
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
104453-470720763.jpg

I have the t5 10.0 bulb in there and top is a 150 watt heating bulb and then the left one is a 100 watt heat emitter. That’s what I need to keep it warm enough. I had a basking perch log thing and he loved it but it was porous and the crickets and roaches kept
Hiding it in so he couldn’t get them, so I took it out thinking if it was simple he would eat again. (When he was eating it was simple like this) but I don’t think or don’t know if it’s contributing at all. The vet said it sounded like my setup was good but idk, I’m a little bummed the vet didn’t give me any kind of
Input whatsoever.....

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you using the measure your temps?

Have you tried feeding him in a separate enclosure so the bugs cant hide?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes a 150 watt bulb and a 100 watt heat emitter seems extreme for the size of the tank ?? Please dont leave the crickets in the tank --- they tend to bite -- the roaches wont tho but crickets yes--- my guess if your not using a infrared heat gun to get temps that tank is too hot--you should have the cool side 80's and at nite not below 65- basking spot 95-110--- what size tank do you have?
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
No, I’m using a heat gun and probe thermometers and dial, the cool side during day is about 85 , the warm side is above 95 and the basking spot is 105-110. My house is very old and drafty. The temps at night are about 70. I’ve been taking the insects out at night for sure and I’ve tried feeding him out of the tank in a separate thing but he’s still not interested. The tank I believe is a 29 gallon?
Thank you!

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
I actually started with a 75 watt heat bulb then tried 100 watt but they weren’t getting it warm enough in there, so I went ahead and got the 150 watt and that’s the only one that seems to get it to where it needs to be. I jut got a 125 watt bulb in the mail to try that but this 150 watt bulb seems to be working, so I hadn’t changed them out yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok it sounds good then-- I would look at upgrading the tank soon--+ what is recommended for an adult dragon is 75-120 gallon-- he is going to outgrow that tank soon-- my guess it's relocation stress-- you can put something like fleece or blanket or ? With your smell on it--- get him used to you
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Yeah I have a 40 gal breeder as well for when he gets a little bit bigger but the pet store gave me crap and said that was too big for a baby, so I put him
I’m my
Old fish tank instead, he falls asleep on me every single night and then I wrap him in his washcloth which I set on my shoulder while he sleeps. I’ve also been hand feeding him baby food with a medicine dropper! Lol it’s really cute and I think he trusts me a little bit I hope he starts getting used to stuff soon! I don’t wanna lose him! Today was the first day in the past week n a half that his eyes weren’t sunken in and he was very very active- wantedto come out all day and then when I took him out he ran all over me and it scared me because boy is he fast! And small! So maybe he’s stressed about something I don’t know. Stressful. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions though! I appreciate it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please don't take anymore advice from the petstore- is it a private breeder or box store--- he needs crickets or roaches dusted with d3 calcium 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week-- it's normal for them to go off their food - he should start eating again - keep offering vegies too-- mustard collard turnip greens squash etc fruit no citrus+-
Karrie

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
Yeah I stopped when I went back in and saw how they kept their babies.... which is wrong
Now that I have one and know what their temp and humidity and substrate should be for babies, they were completely opposite.... I actually complained to them. But yeah it’s idk a 40 gal breeder by that company Zilla or whatever, but I figured that’s work until he gets too big for it, then I’d get a bigger one. Yeah i bought hereto it’s for a multi vitamin and some calcium with d3that I use. Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping he will start eating better again, he looked ten times better today then he had been the past week n a half so maybe he’s on the upswing of whatever it was he’s been going through, hope so anyway!

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I would shine the UVB downward, instead of straigh out towards the front side of the tank. That way he is maximizing his UV intake. Also, you can try some Carnivore Care or Critical Care from OxBow. That's supposed to help with getting the appetite back up. When Tampico was on a dewormer and on RI medication, it took her a while to get back to regular eating too.

Karebearfreezepop0

Original Poster
vrenee1018":13uf6tbw said:
I would shine the UVB downward, instead of straigh out towards the front side of the tank. That way he is maximizing his UV intake. Also, you can try some Carnivore Care or Critical Care from OxBow. That's supposed to help with getting the appetite back up. When Tampico was on a dewormer and on RI medication, it took her a while to get back to regular eating too.

Oh thank you! I told my boyfriend I thought it should shine downward lol. I’ll try those appetite supports as well, thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom