HELP!! Bearde infection got worse or changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I would like to start this off by saying my bearded dragon in adenovirus positive, incase that is helpful with figuring this out.

So about 6 months ago I noticed an infection on my bearded dragons chest, which I thought was likely due to the impaired function of him arms. He often gets himself in positions where his claws are right up against his chest, which I figured to have unfortunately poked through his scale. I posted a picture of the infection here, and a kind soul helped me determine it to be some sort of fungal infection.

103591-5264498214.jpg

So, as recommended, I used betadine solutions twice a day on the area, and the infected area shrunk! One day, a scab looking thing fell off of him and the problem seemed to be completely gone (I do not have pictures of this unfortunately).

Anyways, some time has passed, and I've been super busy with school and work :( so I haven't been able to keep an eye on him as much as I would have liked to. I did notice some cracking in the area, but I figured it was stuck shed that was finally coming off of the infected area.

Yesterday, however, I noticed this!! :(

103591-334912749.jpg

103591-5229140143.jpg

It looks different than the infection he had before! Almost looks like scrape marks on his chest. There is also stuck shed in the area that is looking bad. I put some diluted betadine on it yesterday, but im not sure if that is what this needs. Could this be stuck shed with scar tissue under it? If so is there a safe way to remove stuck shed? He is still eating well and seem okay besides this.

Thank you for any help and for reading!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Looks suspiciously like he's scratched himself on the chest very badly with one of his own nails, do you ever trim them ?

Looks nasty but not weeping with pus (scabbed over).

I think a daily betadiene bath ( I'd use maybe 1 part betadiene to 9 parts water (10% solution) , and sit him in it for 5 - 10mins per day , don't let him drink it.

Keep the wound clean as you can , easier if he's on paper towels for substrate and keep an eye on it and his behavior.
Being in the chest , putting raw honey or manuka honey on it will only attact dirt that will stick to the wound.
F10 Ointment may help too - being a very powerful vet strength antiseptic ointment that is effective against nearly all germs.

DanteChiacchia

Original Poster
I had trimmed them but it’s been a while now... I feel so bad for him :(

Thank you for the help! I’m gunna give him his usual bath today and end it with some betadine. As for the stuck shed surrounding it, is there any method you know for removing it? Or should I just leave it and let it figure itself out?

Thanks again!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DanteChiacchia":2ni8dsb6 said:
I had trimmed them but it’s been a while now... I feel so bad for him :(

Thank you for the help! I’m gunna give him his usual bath today and end it with some betadine. As for the stuck shed surrounding it, is there any method you know for removing it? Or should I just leave it and let it figure itself out?

<<< the adherent shed will likely fall off of it's own accord in the water in bath sometime soon.
<<< leave it be if not causing any issues .(I know the temptation to peel it - but resist that urge.)

Thanks again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can also use raw, unpasteurized honey on the area too for help with healing.
Be sure the betadine is diluted pretty well so it isn't too strong since it looks like an open
wound. Just watch for infection in that area again. They are very slow to heal up.
How is his appetite doing?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

DanteChiacchia

Original Poster
Drache613":1b3nw5fy said:
Hello,

You can also use raw, unpasteurized honey on the area too for help with healing.
Be sure the betadine is diluted pretty well so it isn't too strong since it looks like an open
wound. Just watch for infection in that area again. They are very slow to heal up.
How is his appetite doing?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

His appetite hasn’t changed at all! He still chases crickets down and it doesn’t seem to change his behavior. I gave him a bath and put some betadine in at the end, and also cleaned his tank and put down to paper towel to keep it clean as possible as recommended. I also trimmed his nail. I’ll update if I notice anything changing or it healing.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom