BEARDIE CONSTANTLY GLASS SURFING AND NOT EATING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I’m new here and I didn’t know whether to post in here or your other section “health”.

So, I’ve had my beardie for about two months now and he’s been completely fine, all set up and temps correct, his name is Falcor and he’s around 8-9 months old (people I got him off said he was hatched in August 2018). He’s 14.5 inches as well.

He usually eats a LOAD of greens - he loves peas, green beans, sugar snaps, kale, cabbage and broccoli as well as the occasional sweet pepper, along with locusts, Morio worms, wax worms and crickets... Until 4 days ago. Now every morning I go down to prepare his food and bugs and switch his lights on he acts completely terrified of his viv, he charges back and forth the tank, scratches up the walls, buts his head against the glass, tried to burrow through his AstroTurf, completely destroys the inside of the viv and even when I go to get him out of the tank he hides behind his salt rock from me or claws me to death and tried to escape if I try to handle him, he won’t eat his greens, and shows no interest in any live food, also when I pull him out and let him roam he climbs the living room walls like even the house is stressing him?! I don’t know how to help him or what could be wrong, he’s got loads of energy. The stool he passes is only urate (I assume due to the lack of eating). Now this is very extreme, very different behaviour to his norm, he’s very friendly, loves attention, cuddles and food, he’ll normally race around our house for 10 minutes or so every day, he’s a live wire, but a happy live wire and now he just seems so stressed.
Today, I had to force feed him - I gave him some baby prune juice to rule out impaction, and I made him a liquified superfood mixture of greens and put it on his nose until he licked it off.

Does anyone know why all of a sudden my baby would completely change?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well the only thing I can think of off the bat is your lighting ---------- what kind of UVB are you using and where is it at -- inside the tank or on top of screen? Can you post pics of the tank and lighting please we will start there
Karrie

Rhiaannonr

Original Poster
I think you might be right, t UVB needs to be changed, tree leaving it off this morning and he didn’t act strange or aggro or anything! It’s inside the top of the tank 25 inch 10% UVB light from a UK store pets at home don’t know the brand, tank 36x18x18.
I shall try to figure out how to post a pic now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would look at replacing w/ a reptisun 10.0 T5 or T8 or Arcadia 12% or 14%--bulb-- those are what is most recommend on forum
They need to go into tank the T5 approx 10-11 inches the T8 8-10 inches and the Arcadia around 15 inches from basking
Karrie

Rhiaannonr

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help Karrie - the hubby is getting a new one now on his way home from work, he’s so much better, he’s even eaten some kale!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh my! Well make sure she gets lots of calcium from having he eggs now- I guess they use up alot of calcium from that --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom