I Think My Bearded Dragon Has A Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drogon was acting perfectly normal yesterday, but today I came home from work and too him out as usual and he noticed he was starting to hiss, not really a hiss. He kept opening his mouth slightly, and making a "hissing" noise. The only time Drogon ever hisses is when he's trying to poop, and you bother him. He doesn't have any other signs of aggression, no black beard, no dark skin.
I looked up what could be wrong, and found some videos that sounded similar to the sounds Drogon was making, or maybe i'm wrong(hopefully i'm wrong) and most everything I found said it could be a respiratory infection. I've been trying to see if he has other signs of it(though i'm unsure what those are cause besides gasping/coughing and mucus). I tried looking around his mouth and when he opens it all the way to see if his mucus is thick. I've noticed some around his lips(at least I think it's mucus) but I can't tell if it's thick inside.
I have no idea what to do and am kind of freaking out. He perfectly fine yesterday, and I did move his viv into my room, and placed a new basking rock in there to replace his old one, I don't know if those could change anything.
Do you think he's fine for the night, until I can get him to the vet tomorrow? Is there a possible chance this isn't a respiratory infection and i'm just reading too into it(please, god i hope so)?
Is he okay going to sleep? I don't have any 24 hour reptile vets around, so I can't take him now.
I don't know if this post is in the right place but, I'm just, i'm freaking out I really hope nothing is wrong with him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry too much about it being urgent if he isn't acting lethargic or showing a black beard. If you aren't noticing a ton of mucous buildup or nose bubbles etc along with trouble breathing, I doubt there is an infection. I would keep an eye on him for now but if his behavior stays pretty normal and he is energetic then he is probably OK. If you take a video of him breathing you can upload it to a host like vimeo or youtube and post a link here and I'll be glad to take a look.

DaenerysDrogon

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply
I took Drogon to the vet yesterday, and fortunately everything was fine. They said keep an eye in case he gets other symptoms, but it was most likely to do with him beginning to shed or he could've just been messing around. I haven't noticed him acting up since then so hopefully it was just a scare. I just kind of overreacted cus he's my first(ish since I got him and Daenerys at the same time) reptile. and i'm still new to this stuff.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he got a clean bill from the vet. It's almost always better to play it safe and have them checked out if something seems off. Especially if you have a good vet you trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom