Help please beardie hardly breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirstyA

My beardie Mr Grumpy has been very lethargic the last couple of days and hasn't eaten anything. Today he was black under his chin and cold so moved him under his basking lamp and when I checked him again he had moved to the cold side of his viv again. Hes black all under his chin and neck and I didn't think he was breathing at all but he is just very little. What could be wrong with him?

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Can you post pics of him and his setup? What UVB does he have? How old is he? What does he eat? I would take him to the vet since a black beard is usually a sign that he is in pain. Please give us the rundown of his setup so we can maybe pinpoint what's wrong, but as of now, I would have the vet take a look at him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes please post pics of tank and lighting --- he is in distress w/ the black beard--- and you might want to contact a reptile vet as well
Karrie

KirstyA

Original Poster
Sorry I'm struggling on how to attach pictures is it because I'm on my mobile? Is there a way to add them? He has a big tank with a 100w basking lamp and UV bulb. He is 3 years old now and would normally eat locusts and wax worms as well as baby greens.

Martadragon017":29mq6tnd said:
Can you post pics of him and his setup? What UVB does he have? How old is he? What does he eat? I would take him to the vet since a black beard is usually a sign that he is in pain. Please give us the rundown of his setup so we can maybe pinpoint what's wrong, but as of now, I would have the vet take a look at him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of UVB ? and where is it in side the tank on top of mesh? I cant help you w/ posting pics from phone -- you can go to the right side of page scroll down to " other fun stuff" click on the user image up loader there try that
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
On your phone click the green menu button at the top left and go to user image upload manager in the menu. Click on New Upload then press the choose file button. That should let you pick photos one at a time and upload them. Then you can post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby this evening, is he still black under his chin?
Please review your tank setup with us such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation used,
insects & other foods offered, the temperatures & substrate so we can be sure everything is all
correct. Did you figure out how to post pictures yet?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

KirstyA

Original Poster
He has moved himself into the shoe box I put in yesterday after seeing that some of you have put them in your tanks. Hes still very dark under his chin and cold but is alive. I've read an article on burmation could this be what this is?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KirstyA":3ksesvyq said:
He has moved himself into the shoe box I put in yesterday after seeing that some of you have put them in your tanks. Hes still very dark under his chin and cold but is alive. I've read an article on burmation could this be what this is?

If you are in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE , maybe (to trying brumate) ---- but he should not be BBing , that indicates to me there is definitely a health issue and he's feeling either very sick or is in pain.

Very important that he be kept warm if he's sick , this will help boost his metabolism and immune system , no colder than 30 degC even overnight is my suggestion.

I think you really need to get him to a REPTILE VET VERY PROMPTLY, when lizards get sick enough to display a BB they are already very sick and perhaps critical and can go down hill very fast so I wouldn't delay having a REPTILE vet examine him and do some tests including taking xrays.

There are some issues with lighting and likely the temperatures , and I think perhaps the sand substrate may contributing if not the cause of this.
When did he last poo ?

Temperatures
Basking spot
Warm zone
Cool zone
over night room temperature
how are measuring these ?

Is the linear tube a T8 ? or a T5ho ?
brand ?
UVB rating ?
how old is it ?
Distance from it to the basking spot ?

What kind of sand is it ?

Diet ? feeding schedule ?

Lighting schedule ?

Spring or autumn where you are ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, along with answering the questions can you post a couple of good pics of Mr. Grumpy ? Are you positive he's a male and have you had him since he was a baby ?

KirstyA

Original Poster
Absolutely heartbroken before I could get him to the vet he sadly passed away. Thank you for all your advice I wish I had known how to help him earlier x

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry to hear this Kirsty, my deepest condolences to you. You had a very nice home for him and obviously cared very much. It's so sad when they get sick so quickly + severely. :( This happens to more dragons than most people realize.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kirsty,

Oh no, I am so sorry about your little one, he sure got ill quickly. :cry:
I am sorry for your loss, it is never ever easy to lose one so suddenly like that.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom