Glue on his stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerthebeardie

So my crazy beardie decided he was gonna tip his thermostat off the glass while I was at work and it got stuck to his stomach and now he has sticky glue on his stomach. I used double sided tape to stick the thermostat on the glass so it’s not like wet glue but he is very sticky. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get the glue off, I soaked him in warm water and tried gently wiping it off with a towel but it won’t come off. Please help I don’t know if it will harm him at all.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd leave the spot of glue there, it'll come off with the next shed.

I don't think it'll bother the dragon , but any solvents you try to use to remove it will and might damage the dragon's skin as well as being toxic and possibly being absorbed through the skin.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If soapy water doesn't work you can try rubbing alcohol sometimes referred to as isopropyl alcohol.
Since its actually adhesive and not a glue that has cured, you shouldn't need some harsh solvent to dissolve it. Rubbing alcohol should help the adhesive rub right off the skin.
Don't soak him in it, just use it to wipe with.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":3pji6m7h said:
If soapy water doesn't work you can try rubbing alcohol sometimes referred to as isopropyl alcohol.
Since its actually adhesive and not a glue that has cured, you shouldn't need some harsh solvent to dissolve it. Rubbing alcohol should help the adhesive rub right off the skin.
Don't soak him in it, just use it to wipe with.

-Brandon

Bad idea , see https://abcoe.com.au/documents/Isopropyl%20Alcohol.pdf
Inhalation:
Remove victim from exposure - avoid becoming a casualty. Remove contaminated clothing and
loosen remaining clothing. Allow patient to assume most comfortable position and keep warm. Keep at rest until fully recovered. Seek medical advice if effects persist.

Skin Contact:
If skin or hair contact occurs, remove contaminated clothing and flush skin and hair with running
water.
If swelling, redness, blistering or irritation occurs seek medical assistance.
For gross contamination, immediately drench with water and remove clothing. Continue to flush skin and hair with plenty of water (and soap if material is insoluble).
For skin burns, cover with a clean, dry dressing until medical help is available.
If blistering occurs, do NOT break blisters. If swelling, redness, blistering, or irritation occurs seek medical assistance.

Inhalation : an irritant to mucous membranes and respiratory tract. Inhalation of vapour can result in headaches, dizziness and nausea. Inhalation of high concentrations can produce central nervous system depression, which can lead to loss of co-ordination,

Please do not use isopropyl alc or rubbing alc on your dragon. This will very likely make the dragon very ill.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lol pretty much the sds for every item in your house says something along those lines.

You do realize that the inhalation and skin contact parts that you quoted are the same recommendations for vinegar...
right? Isopropyl alcohol is safe to use. Drs use it on everything. Hospitals use it. Cleaners use it. And tons of people use it around the house.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And just another fyi, another major use of isopropyl alcohol is wound cleaning. So do more research next time before coming to me with the first Google result you see that fits your narrative.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
An alternative to alcohol might be baby oil. It works like a charm on tar. Personally, I'd just leave it and let natural wear & tear + skin turnover take care of it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":3opof611 said:
And just another fyi, another major use of isopropyl alcohol is wound cleaning. So do more research next time before coming to me with the first Google result you see that fits your narrative.

-Brandon
I do , it is used impregnated in very tiny wipes.

However …. using IPA is something that is NOT a good idea here. Why risk it when it's NOT NECESSARY and the dragon will shed the dried glue with it's next shed or it will simply wear away while the dragon climbs and crawls and goes about it's normal activities.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I read you can use veg oil / canola oil -- it will take the glue off and not harm the dragon- wipe off w/ a clean wet dish rag or paper towel etc
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just because you say so doesnt make it true. Unless you want to give an actual reason as to why it wouldn't be a good idea besides an sds. And if you have an actual reason I am all ears and would like to hear it.
But I will tell you that you are 100% wrong to even suggest that my recommendation would lead to,
kingofnobbys":t5ae7znt said:
This will very likely make the dragon very ill.

It's not like you would bathe the dragon in it, or confine him to a small box and force him to suck down fumes. You are literally using it to wipe off an adhesive (note this isnt a glue that has cured and dried). It evaporates almost instantly if just used to wipe.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":1hnis9tv said:
Why risk it when it's NOT NECESSARY and the dragon will shed the dried glue with it's next shed or it will simply wear away while the dragon climbs and crawls and goes about it's normal activities.

1. There isnt a risk here.

2. OP specifically asked what he can use to remove it. OP didnt ask if he should leave it. IF he asked that I would have said "sure you can leave it if you want." But that is NOT what the OP asked for. Once again, OP very specifically asked what to use to remove it.

Vegie oils will work also. Ironic enough, rubbing alcohol would also work very well to remove the oil from your dragons skin after using a vegie oil.

3. You are still under the assumption that this is a dried glue that will wear away. If you read ops post you'd notice that this is a tacky adhesive, not a cured glue. If its strong enough it's going to be tugging and pulling at the dragons belly. Especially if the dragons sits in one spot for awhile. It would be best to try to remove it to prevent this.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":1akkuruj said:
I read you can use veg oil / canola oil -- it will take the glue off and not harm the dragon- wipe off w/ a clean wet dish rag or paper towel etc
Karrie

Better / safer approach IMO.

Brandon , you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I've given reasons why I think using IPA on a reptile's skin is a bad idea based on a MSDS which is a scientific and rigorous document based on facts.
It's up to the OP to decide if they want to risk it , not you, not me.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

Used to use sticky traps in field research for sampling invertebrate populations... Similar tacky-type adhesive. When we caught something we didn't mean to (birds, snakes, mouse) what we used was canola oil and patience. It takes quite a while, but if the type if adhesive I am thinking of is correct, does eventually work. Just take your time with it. When I was working to release a little garter snake off of one it took me well over an hour to get done with (and the poor scared fellow bit me a few times)... But hey, we both survived the ordeal in the end. Here is a video of a similar sticky trap being released using cooking oil, not related to me at all just something I found.

Rubbing alcohol would also work but is definitely an irritant. I would probably use the oil first, then use a little bit of alcohol just to quickly wipe the spot clean once most of the adhesive was off. This is probably unnecessary though and honestly little creatures are vulnerable enough to upper respirators that I would try avoid it.

One that I myself have never used but have been told works like a charm is peanut butter, too, since it's essentially cooking oil + a fine, soft grit. Plus peanut butter is easy to clean off the beardie once the adhesive is off.

Please follow up with what you did and what worked out! Valuable thing to know.

Good luck,
-Ellentomologist

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is a reminder that we do not allow personal attacks here, which means no singling
out of any individual to attack or belittle them in anyway. Let's please keep this a friendly,
helpful thread for the OP.
Before I read any of the thread, my first thought was to use Peanut butter. LOL

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":gyn3emcq said:
Hello,

This is a reminder that we do not allow personal attacks here, which means no singling
out of any individual to attack or belittle them in anyway. Let's please keep this a friendly,
helpful thread for the OP.
Before I read any of the thread, my first thought was to use Peanut butter. LOL

Tracie

Never occurred to me try peanut butter , I expect the smooth version is the trick.
However I'd be more inclined to eat the stuff myself - one of my fav spreads.

Generally when someone resorts to personal attacks it's a sign their case is very poor .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom