Vent cancer? *UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!

I made a post a few weeks ago about my beardie Superhands and his suspicious vent problem. I wanted to give a helpful update to others in our situation!

It turns out right his hemipene was the problem rather then the cloaca, and his left hemipene is producing normal seminal plugs so it seems breeding season could have been the trigger.

After 3 weeks of antibiotics, daily baths and iodine cleans there was no real improvement. The lovely exotic vet team who have been treating him agreed it was best to amputate the hemipene and send a bacterial culture to the lab to confirm what the infection was and how it could have started aswell as finding the perfect antibiotic to further treat him.

He came out of surgery yesterday is so far is doing well! Theres been some bleeding which is apparently normal and he's on a cluster of oral pain medication and soft antibiotics until the lab results come in!

The vets have saved his amputated hemipene so we can do a tissue sample if the lab results are inconclusive or unhelpful. If it comes to that I'll let you lovely people know so we can all learn about this strange condition!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear that your boy needed surgery. It looked like it could have been put back in but I guess the vet wasn't sure what exactly the problem was. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery + back to his energetic self ASAP. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor boy, that is too bad he had to have surgery. :cry: At least one hemipene is still in place
though. It sounds like the surgery went well also & that he is doing pretty well.
Definitely do keep us all updated, we hope he makes a complete recovery.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom