Yellow poop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post here. We've had our beardie for a few weeks now and lately he has the following symptoms: weird poop (see pic), he gets super stressed when the lights go out at night and he has limp leg. Any help would be appreciated. Petco will cover any vet Bill's for another week or two so I'm leaning towards that. I just dont trust them very much but I may have to.

Edit: pic of limp leg dangling.

https://ibb.co/SvTRJ0T

daniellesweet

Original Poster
sure, so he has a reptisun t5 uvb and the fixture is from home depot. it's a 20 gallon tank with a reptile basking light. i use paper towels for the substrate. he eats a lot of veggies and crickets. i coat his crickets with calcium every other day. am i missing anything?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. It probably is the squash. Do you know the temps and how do you take them? Glad you have a good uvb. Did the fixture come with plastic over the bulb it came with? He set up sounds good.

daniellesweet

Original Poster
Yes! Should I take the plastic off? I never thought about that. I take temps with an infrared thermometer. It gets hot in there sometimes up to about 120, but he typically stays in the 105-110 zone. It's about 85 on the cool side. Hes a juvenile. Does his poop look like diarrhea? I'm always worried about the little guy. Everything gets me all up in arms!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Definitely take the plastic off. It's blocking the uvb rays. I would get the temps down to 110 at the very hot part and the cool side should be about 75 to 80.

daniellesweet":8u6yhu4n said:
Ok thank you. Question...how do I lower the temp? Sorry if that's a dumb question...

Not a dumb question at all! When I found my tank was getting to be a bit too hot, I bought a lamp dimmer from Home Depot. You can find a cheap one between $10-15 from any hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes. You just plug the dimmer into the wall and then plug the heat lamp into the dimmer and a dial on the dimmer allows you to control the intensity of the heat lamp. You can also get a lower wattage bulb, but I love the dimmer and how it lets me have fine control over the light's intensity. It's a super easy way to make quick and accurate adjustments when my temps get a little wacky.

The pic of his poop looks pretty normal and healthy aside from the weird coloring, but their diets can affect the color of their poop. I think since you mentioned squash, that's likely the reason for the yellow color. I've noticed a reddish/orange tinge when I used to feed my girl carrots and red bell peppers. As for the limp leg, I'm really not too sure! Does it look like he's protecting the leg due to pain/an injury? I'd guess some sort of injury or maybe he's not getting enough UVB (you did mention that plastic cover was still intact). I know a beardie who didn't have proper UVB exposure for the first few months of his life and now his front left hand is a lot more limp than the other limbs and he has trouble climbing and balancing. Hopefully it's nothing that serious, but definitely ensure he's getting proper UV exposure and keep an eye on that leg. Hopefully someone else with more experience than me will be able to give you some more feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom