Bearded dragon ear! --OLD AND RESOLVED—

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banarang

Hello, this is my first time posting. So sorry if I seem nervous or if I leave out details.

So I have a bearded dragon named mango (edit: I corrected this a because at the time I was writing this I almost was having a panic attack. I’ve had mango for 2 years.. that’s why I wrote that. To me 2 years isn’t much.. sorry for the misinformation. And I noticed her ear film has been torn. It isn’t even on the ear. It’s inside! It’s not shed, it is the film. It bled a bit but it stopped. I have no clue how this happened as I just noticed. She hasn’t been out today until I noticed her ear. I can see the inside ! What do I do?? (I’m not new to owning beardies, I’m just shocked about what’s going on!)

EDIT:

PLEASE NOTE — I have since contacted a vet and we currently have mango on antibiotics. Thanks to everyone for your help

Banarang

Original Poster
. I don’t know anything about her past. All I know is that she broke a bit of her tail When I bought her. but the breeder didn’t see it??? I didn't get that part either but it isn’t really a issue as far as I know because it happened along time ago. I guess it was either damage from being shipped to them or them mishandling her :( It healed with no complications as far as I can see.. I’m extremely exhausted and stressed so please correct me if im saying something wrong.

Any bit of advice will be a huge help... thanks again..

Banarang

Original Poster
Also please don’t take that the wrong way. ( I’m saying this because I didn’t add context.) I do take my lizards out, I don’t leave them out of their cage unsupervised and I don’t leave them in the the cage (context: i don’t leave them in their cage all the time. They need exercise like any other pet). I only realized her ear when I was going to take her out.
I never leave them unsupervised when out of the cage. I still am concerned about what caused the ear damage. We don’t have sharp objects in their.. sorry if I’m annoying or repetitive, I just wanna make sure shes ok..

Edit; probably gonna bring her to the vet soon.

Banarang

Original Poster
The only way it is visible (well I mean it’s clearly visible and all details of her ear show) is with a flashlight. Also how do I post a image here? Thanks for your swift responses! I appreciate your help.!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to User Image Uploader at the top of this page -- click on it -- down load pics --- click on reply and at the top of this message box click on XIMG-- wait for page to refresh and check to see if your pics posted
Karrie

Banarang

Original Poster
Hello, I might be able to post images. I’m unsure if o can on mobile or if the administrators allow it I read on the Forum
FAQ that each admin has different rules. (This is in no way trying to be disrespecting to the admins, I’m sorry if anyone’s offended by that.)

I tried to upload a image But I’m unsure if it worked. But I know how now

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know what happened to your other thread with all our responses on it but any update yet?

-Brandon

Banarang

Original Poster
She had a ear infection, she’s now on antibiotics,

I don’t remember what he said (thank god a family member was in the room, or I wouldn’t remember much :D )
But it was something about the lights not being hot enough.
But I learned today shes/he’s 640 grams? And said that he saw another beardie yesterday and they were only 130 grams and really small. And they were 2! (due to malnourishment and neglect they didn’t grow much.)

Anyways. The cage went under a makeover. All lights replaced with higher watt ones, substrate was replaced by paper, and a slight diet Change. Mangos a spoiled brat so she won’t chase her food, but she has shown she likes crickets in the past ( dead ones/disabled crickets Eg: missing wings or legs) so we put 4 fully alive ones and she has been chasing them and drinking from her water bowl (first time!!) he told us to add a lil bit more variety to her diet and recommend some calcium to feed daily (the other stuff was twice a week feeders.) she also likes the updated basking light. I’m happy we went! The vet was very professional and knew what he was doing. And the 45 minute drive out of town was worth it and was cheaper than expected!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baytril is a very common antibiotic for herps.
What were the instructions you were given in regards to dosing the baytril?

What is your basking surface temp at? Improper temperatures lead to a host of issues but it causing an ear infection is a new one to me lol. I would say that's not what caused the issue but still, fixing your temps and making sure your lighting is proper is necessary to help your girl recover!

I'm so glad that you were able to work something out!

-Brandon

Banarang

Original Poster
think he said she wasn’t getting enough UV?? I don’t know but he said it was too low of a temperature and she wasn’t getting enough heat either,it has been fixed to the recommenced temperature but we will make sure/test it tomorrow. He showed us a device that will scan the temperature of a area. It said on the paper to give her 0.2
(Millimetres?) of it.

So what happened is that her ear got nicked and the tear spread and got infected and since her UV and heat was too low her body wasn’t strong enough to fight it properly

(. Hopefully this setup works!)

Thanks for helping me/mango!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you go over your uvb setup and the temps the vet told you to get and what you have?

Not trying to make it sound like we know more than the vets, but we do specialize in dragon care here where as a vet needs to know multiple creatures and can sometimes give slightly off recommendations.

Either way, I'm very happy for you and your girl.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom