Yellow fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has some yellow colouring and darker colouring on his beard. His mouth is also a bright yellow inside, which I think might be new. He is not very keen on opening his mouth and i couldnt get a picture of the inside. Whenever he does open his mouth for me, its not long enough for me to get a good look, either, so all I notice is the colour. I did take some pictures of his beard, though. I didn't know if the yellow colour was normal or not considering it seems relatively new. Theres also the darker colour, which looks very similar to when he is stressed and while he likes being held, sometimes he gets very nervous and his beard goes dark. So, I was also unsure if the darker color was normal or if it's an indication that he is sick. I'm putting this under the Beardie ER forum do to the fact that the yellow fungus disease can be very fatal. It doesn't look like the pictures I have seen when googling, though, so I am just not sure. I may just have to schedule him a vets visit. Any opinions are welcome, though, since I am always second guessing myself. He's also been kind of lethargic lately, if that's anything. But everything else is normal, aside from him getting diarrhea easily. He's very sensitive to his diet and diet changes, even very slight ones. The diarrhea goes away if I switch things up (i.e. turnip greens instead of collard, or giving him dubias instead of calciworms, if I lower the amount of super worms he gets, etc.). So that might just be a normal thing with him. It's always been like that, especially because he refuses his greens usually. Also, he is about a year old and i keep his tank between 80° and 110° (sometimes it gets up to 120° ish in certain spots). He will move around the tank at will, basks, eats his insects and sometimes his greens. The only behavior change is his lethargy. He naps sooooo much, which is new. Last time I was at the vet, he said not to worry about his laziness. But I am worrying anyways. I also try to keep a water bowl in his tank since he doesn't like to eat his greens. Let me know if more info is needed!! Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No Y.F, just a nice yellow tone coming in. :) As for the lethargy, how old + what type of uvb bulb do you have ? Can you post pics of his tank + lighting ? BTW, try to get the heat down to no more than 100-105. Most adults don't like it much over 100, that might be causing him to hide. Offer water with a spray bottle gently on his snout or use an eyedropper.

evaaislinn

Original Poster
Thanks for the response! I will definitely adjust his heating. As for the UVB and pictures of set up, I will have to post in a bit. I am going to be upgrading his UVB set up entirely within the next 1-3 weeks because I want something more like the T18 I believe? So it is honestly lacking right now imo. I was using 100 watt bulbs for his basking spot but they didn't seem to be doing as much as they should, so I went up to 150 watt (the next highest at my local pet store). I'll try the 100 watt's again or see if I can find an in-between bulb. His lethargy is mostly napping behaviour. He will bask when I wake him up and he loves his hammock (almost directly under the heat lamp and directly under the UVB), but often times when I turn his lights off at night he hides to sleep and unless I lift the hide up in the morning he will keep sleeping all day. If he sleeps all day he'll end up staying up all night, too, so I have to wake him up every morning to make sure he's getting enough light.

evaaislinn

Original Poster
101947-7445233022.jpg
101947-7096552206.jpg
101947-373449768.jpg
here's a couple pictures of his set up and a picture of the UVB bulb I currently have. I'm planning on upgrading him to one that spans across the top of his tank.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That looks pretty good. :) Once you get a better uvb bulb he may get more energy. BTW, you don't need a night bulb, if it gets colder than 65F at night you can use a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] that puts off heat but no light to disturb their sleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep the sooner the better - the coil is no good -- please get either a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 which takes a flat hood fixture or a T 8 which takes a regular fixture that can be purchased at your Petco or Petsmart- if you go w/ the T 5 hood you could also get the Arcadia D3 bulb that will fit- the T 5's will last a year and the T 8 need to be changed out every 6 months
Karrie

evaaislinn

Original Poster
Thank you both for the info!! I will definitely be updating the lighting situation. Also, Ham likes the night light quite a bit. He usually sleeps directly under it. I will probably try out the ceramic bulb though and see if he likes that any better!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't have a particular brand I got mine at petco- it's just heat-- no light-- they run around $40 I believe- you need a fine fixture- and I believe it's a 100 watt bulb--- it keeps my 120 gallon tank around 70 or so at nite
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, there is no yellow fungus there, it is a beautiful yellow coloring in his beard. As
they get older, their nice pigments can change & become more evident. As for the yellow
color in his mouth, that is a recessive gene/trait that some have. It is a characteristic of
Pogona barbata & some Pogona vitticeps to scare off predators with their bright color in
their mouth. So, it is most likely the culprit of the yellow coloring in his mouth.
Definitely change out the UVB to see if that helps to improve his overall laziness. How
often do you give calcium & other supplementation for him?

Tracie

evaaislinn

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I'm ordering new UVBs and looking into ceramic heat emitters and trying to decide the best one. I dust his veggies and insects with two different supplements and alternate them. I alternate between calcium with d3 and reptivite. I usually will use reptivite only 1 or 2 times a week bc it has synthetic vitamin A and Ham got a little sick when i was using it too often a while back. He hasnt gotten sick from it since I've started using it less. I will usually use the calcium with d3 every time i dont use the reptivite. He usually gets collard greens and sometimes carrots for veggies because thats what he likes the most. Hes not a big fan of much else. Hes pretty against veggies, i usually have to put a couple superworms or calciworms on top for him to start eating them otherwise he just stares at the bowl and adamantly refuses. And i give him bugs about 3 to 4 times a week. I give him either dubias or calciworms and use superworms as a treat. Sometimes i get him some waxworms to have as a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom