Extremely worried about Rocket's tail now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
So I just went to check up on Rocket and Feed him, And I found that he wasn't in his tank anymore and that he escaped again somehow. So I freaked out a little bit and searched the area and found him behind his tank In between his tank and the window.

And so I moved to tank a little bit and realized that the Tank was on his tail, I immediately grabbed him out from under it but the poor baby was so freaked out he Jumped Off of my hand and ran laps around the room.

He had a rather black beard for about 3 minutes, So I checked his tail and Saw that The section where he was getting ready to shed (like the pre shed where his scales turn a waxy color while the new scales develop) was torn a bit and a bit of his undeveloped scales were exposed, So I Put some honey on a cotton swab and put it around his tail and the Exposed area.

But I want to know if his tail is broken or not, It feels alright and I can't feel or notice anything wrong with it but it does seem to droop a bit more than usual on one spot and that is what's worrying me. :(

This just happened like 8 minutes ago and thankfully he seems to have calmed down now. I'm just overly worried and want to make sure my baby will be alright. :(

Photos:
View media item 60800View media item 60934View media item 60588View media item 60779
The tail:
View media item 60966View media item 60560View media item 60366View media item 60953

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Rocket, you must make sure his cage stays secure now Hippie ! You've done the right thing + his tail should be fine. Did you pull the gauze down so the area is visible there ? If so it doesn't look bad. Just keep it bandaged for 4-5 days.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Yeah I Probably will Put some like Chicken Wire over the tank and Lower his log Again, Because this morning I made it a bit higher so he could Get better heat But I guess he saw that as an escape opportunity.

And Thank you, a Honey cotton swab bandage was the first thing I thought of, and so far it seems to be working well.

Yes I did pull it down a bit so y'all could see the damage, Thank goodness it wasn't worse though, He seems to tolerate it so hopefully he won't mind it for The next couple days. :)

I'll keep y'all posted on how he does. :)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He Managed to get the bandage off this morning but thankfully he seems to be doing well, I don't think that his tail is broken thankfully but the exposed area still seems to irritate him slightly, But he seems to be doing much better today. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I think his tail looks fine also, just a bit irritated. He should be fine, no worse for the
wear. I guess it just scared him!
They are so crafty & sneaky, always getting out of their tanks. I'm glad he is ok. How is his
appetite doing, anymore black bearding?
Did you put any ointment or raw unpasteurized honey on the area?

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yes thankfully his tail Seems to be alright, he's still a bit jumpy from it but he's doing good. :)

lol indeed, It's insane how good they are at escaping.

Thankfully no more black bearding today, and he is Very eager to eat, We had our Order of 1000 Dubias come in so all of the dragons enjoyed feasting on roaches. :)

Yes When he first got injured I put raw unpasteurized honey on it and I've been putting honey and a cotton swab bandage on the wound everyday and replacing it each morning. So hopefully if he keeps toleratint the bandage his tail will heal fully.

The only odd thing he did today was Hide in his corner hidebox for a good 2 and a half hours, which was a bit odd but he went back to being extremely active afterwards. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very naughty Hippie !

Did you break the skin in the tail squash/crush/pinch ?

I think if there no change to the tail over the next few days such as swelling, and there is still good supply beyond the injury and it doesn't become infected you dodged a bullet.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It didn't break the skin too badly and thankfully Rocket seems perfectly fine now. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Rocket's tail is doing better. He is definitely naughty... Is he grounded for a few
days? LOL

Tracie

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lol, Yes thankfully he is doing better except that I Examined the area a bit closer and a lot of it is like pretty yellow and odd looking, I'll need to get a closer photo of it to Determine what it is, I'm hoping it's just pigment though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HippieLizards":1hxx48tw said:
Lol, Yes thankfully he is doing better except that I Examined the area a bit closer and a lot of it is like pretty yellow and odd looking, I'll need to get a closer photo of it to Determine what it is, I'm hoping it's just pigment though.

The yellowish stuff discoloring it might be bruising , or if it's wet , pus .

Might be a good idea to bring out the big guns and apply some F10 barrier ointment to the injury (I'd do this daily as well as giving the injured bit of tail a soak daily in some luke warm diluted betadiene).

Keep a close eye on the injury and the tail beyond the injury (from it to the tail tip) , blood flow is not as good even in a perfectly healthy dragon in the tail extremity because it's further from the heart. If the vascular system in the tail is damaged this is bad.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":2oj6sr6f said:
HippieLizards":2oj6sr6f said:

The yellowish stuff discoloring it might be bruising , or if it's wet , pus .

Might be a good idea to bring out the big guns and apply some F10 barrier ointment to the injury (I'd do this daily as well as giving the injured bit of tail a soak daily in some luke warm diluted betadiene).

Keep a close eye on the injury and the tail beyond the injury (from it to the tail tip) , blood flow is not as good even in a perfectly healthy dragon in the tail extremity because it's further from the heart. If the vascular system in the tail is damaged this is bad.
I'm hoping That it's only bruising, But yesterday On one part of the wound it leaked like 1-2 drops of this weird liquid that sort of looked like sweet tea (don't know any other way to describe it)? I'm not sure what that could've been But it hasn't seemed to "leak" Anymore so far.

But here is what the tail looks like right now, and honestly I'm Getting really worried now. :(
View media item 60400View media item 60952View media item 60898View media item 60519View media item 60611
I checked the tip of the tail and it seems perfectly fine, He seems perfectly fine, he's super active and acts like he normally does, But the injury on the tail looks much worse now, I have been keeping it covered and putting honey on it ever yet other day.

I sure hope That the vascular system isn't destroyed, That would definitely be bad. :(

Also Where could I get some F10? I think we might have some Betadine but I'd have to check.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is that the area that was covered with honey ? It softens the skin + maybe is causing the damaged skin/scales to come off.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":2lfqx4xt said:
Is that the area that was covered with honey ? It softens the skin + maybe is causing the damaged skin/scales to come off.
No It doesn't have honey on it at the moment (to be honest I forgot to put on the honey today and yesterday ?‍♀️). But I'm not sure on what It is or what's causing this really odd discoloration. :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is strange coloring! Have you put antibiotic ointment on it?
It looks fine though, so if it is shedding off then hopefully it is healing up without any problems
now. Since he is active then it hasn't affected him too much.
I'm glad everything is normal with his tail.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom