Beardie wont eat no matter what I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drattico

(TL;DR at the bottom) Hello. Last year I got a bearded dragon from a lady who's son had gone off to college (with the son's permission of course). His name is Spyro and he was 2 or 3 when she gave him to us, so he's probably around 3 or 4 now. Once we got him we set him up and everything was fine. He ate good.

Sort of recently, we moved him to a bigger tank so he more room. This winter he went into brumation, which kind of scared me at first but he got up to eat and drink sometimes and he looked healthy. He came out of it not too long ago, but with one problem. He wouldnt eat. I gave him a bit before jumping to conclusions, while still providing food for him but he never ate any of it. He started to lose weight. Currently he is very underweight, so much so you can see the outline of his spine. I've asked a few other places for advice, but they always say its stress. I've tried everything to reduce the stress. I've reduced noise level, I've covered the window his tank is beside, I've altered the temperature, I've given him baths. Nothing will get him to eat. Right now he has a stress mark on his beard and I don't know what to do. He still gets up and walks (he has a sort of shaky walk, not like the stride normal dragons have). He will walk around his tank and move to the other side when he gets too hot.

Another few things: I gave him a bath a few weeks ago to see if it would help and he pooped several times, he still drinks water, he walks around when I take him out of the tank, his face is sort of more pale than it used to be (its been that way for a few weeks now). I cant take him to a vet because my family is in an unfortunate money situation. Tank temp is normal, nothing has been changed (except the sand when I clean the tank).

TL;DR: My beardie wont eat and I've been told its stress. I've done everything thats within my ability that I can think of to reduce it but nothing has worked and he still won't eat. He is very skinny and malnourished but he still drinks water and he still walks around. Any advice would be appreciated. I dont want him to have to suffer and I want to fix this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he still on the sand? If so I would suggest getting ceramic slated tile or non adhesive shelf liner- it is very cheap and easy to clean- you can get it at Home Depot Lowes or your local hard ware store- what kind of lighting is in the tank? Can you post pics of the tank and lighting- ? As far as the feeding one of the more experienced people on the board needs to respond to that question
Karrie

stinkyboyspike

Hi!
I’m sorry to hear that your beardie won’t eat.
My beardie recently got worms and had to be put on 3 types of medicine for it. She didn’t want to eat. My vet recommended making a smoothie for her and giving it to her via syringe. The main ingredients for it are repticalcium, a multi vitamin and MOST IMPORTANTLY Fluker’s ReptaBoost. You will also add greens, fruits and veggies, along with water. Blend it up until it’s a juice consistency. Use the syringe that comes with the ReptaBoost, filling it up all the way and given twice in a row. The reptaboost saved my dragon. It has all the nutrients, carbs, etc. that they need. It helped my dragon get her appetite back, and I hope it does the same for yours. Also, sand is really bad for dragons. They lick almost everything and can easily get impacted. Try getting tile, carpet, or even newspaper.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom