7 month old beardie showing signs of brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok first ...I know it is highly unlikely that she is actually brumation but we have ruled out everything else I can think of and is why I’m here. Long lead up to our trouble but I want to give as much information as possible.

About 2.5 weeks ago my usually voracious eating and routinely pooping dragon stopped pooping. She went about 4 day without pooping then when she finally did she had a large hard urate (1/2 in diameter) in her poop. She then proceeded to eat fine but still wouldn’t poop for another 5 days. That was the Thursday before last. Then she started to stop eating as well. We were giving her 2 daily soaks and tummy massages during this time as well. We too her to the vet and she had to give her fluids and an enema. She went on a soft diet with a little mineral oil for a few days after thy but still wouldn’t poop until Wednesday of this week (4 days ago). We took her pack to the vet on Wednesday and she pooped without assistance. They did a fecal test and it came back clear of any and all parasites. She will barely eat now (3-5 BSFL and a small bit of greens) only in the morning and will immediately go into her hide and put her head down with her eyes open. She NEVER used to go into her hide. If I take her out she seems happy and alert. She seems more alert in the morning.

Here is the basic information:
Gamera (BD) is 7 months old, 17.5” and 305grams
Tank does not have any loose substrate
Basking temp is 100
Cool temp is 84
Under hide temp is 72
Humidity just shot up from 34 to 50 the last day or two but It’s going down
She will not drink water from a syringe
She is getting daily soaks 2 times
No parasites
Not pooping
Barely eating
Refusing to bask
Prefers to be buried under blanket or hide
Prefers to be held or out of tank and then she just snuggles
Darkens colors when under hide
No black beard
Not breathing weirdly and no eye discharge or mouth breathing

Please what else can I try????

renoholdway

Original Poster
UVB is a Reptisun T5 10.0 mounted inside tank. I finally got her to poop last night. But she keeps getting blocked up. No idea why :(

OH! And just found out that she may be 8-9 months instead of 7.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wow you got me! The vet didn't do blood work--- ? Has he lost weight? Is he maintaining? His age he should be eating 20 crickets-- or more - can you try feeding some dubia roaches and see if he'll eat those? It seems there's something going on w/ the tank--- what kind of substrate? Remember if they aren't eating much they are not going to poop much-- it's not unusual for them not to poop every day but he is young and I would say it's not brumation-- but try dubias-- I know your feeding bsfl and those are small he should be eating way more-- how are you taking basking temp?
Karrie

renoholdway

Original Poster
She is only eating about 5 bites of collard greens and a couple worms in the morning. Today she had 1 roach as well. Then she goes straight back into her hide. I'm really not sure why she is avoiding basking. Her basking temps are around 105-110. She has tile on the bottom of the tank. She is literally avoiding heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How are you taking basking temps? Temps are a factor w/ their behavior--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her motabolism may be or has slowed down that's the reason for the decrease appetite-- I would watch her weight and see if she's losing- if she's maintaining she's good-- if she starts to lose I would take her back in-- others on here might have some other ideas
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom