Very Worried Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
AHBD":2bzio1jo said:
I'm sorry that your little one is having so much trouble. You can try some of the baby foods mentioned before like chicken, sweet potato, green bean. See if your pet store carries Repashy grub pie or a liquid supplemental food like Fluker's Repta boost or Zilla jump start.
I'll see what I can pick up. I'll be going hungry tomorrow but it'll be worth it if it helps him get better. I just feel like I'm so unprepared and that he's just going to get worse and worse because I can't get him what he needs

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Please believe me, it's nothing you're doing wrong. His temps. have been in the average range and I do believe it's possible that it's a calcium deficiency or more likely atadenovirus. If you Google the sypmtoms you'll see that lethargy, loss of appetite and arching the head back are all classic symptoms. Some babies make it, others don't. Just keep trying, your thermometers are giving you the right temp. Just be sure his uvb is close enough and try the syringe feeding. You haven't done anything wrong, you're making a valiant effort to help him. I'm sure everyone reading this can feel for you. :(
Just offer a bit of the baby food and/or the Repta boost. Get the smallest jar. You can also try smashing a bug and rubbing it lightly on his snout, sometimes that will work.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
Bear with me if this is not worded very well or if theres spelling mistakes. JoJo passed away while I was at work... I had a feeling after seeing how bad he looked this morning but I foolishly hoped he would make it to Tuesday and I could take him to a vet if he wasn't any better. I don't know what it could've been, it took him in the span of 2 days and I just feel so clueless about what I could've done. Thank you for your info, everyone. While it didn't save him, it certainly made me feel like I was at least helping somehow. I can't help but feel like I need to give up on this hobby. I love these animals so much but something always gets in the way. Liver disease in one, MBD from a previous owner in the 2nd and now, I have no clue what happened to JoJo. All I know is that I'm starting to lose hope that I can take care of these guys when something happens...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You did everything perfectly and tried harder than most people. Don't kid yourself, you were willing to go hungry if it meant getting your dragon the care ir needed. We NEED more people like you in this hobby and the dragons need more people like you.

Like ahbd mentioned, Adenovirus is a possibility and there's nothing you could have done about it. Some dragons with adv survive, some don't make it. Dragons are very good at hiding sickness and hiding when they are suffering. This poor guy was most likely very sick for a long time. Much longer than you've had him.

I encourage you to reflect and realize that you did everything you could and that you made a difference in this creatures life. He died knowing people cared for him which is more than some get.

Maybe in the future you can buy a dragon from a reputable breeder who sells healthy dragons and really get to enjoy this hobby.

I sincerely hope you don't give up on these guys.

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":o231yes9 said:
You did everything perfectly and tried harder than most people. Don't kid yourself, you were willing to go hungry if it meant getting your dragon the care ir needed. We NEED more people like you in this hobby and the dragons need more people like you.

Like ahbd mentioned, Adenovirus is a possibility and there's nothing you could have done about it. Some dragons with adv survive, some don't make it. Dragons are very good at hiding sickness and hiding when they are suffering. This poor guy was most likely very sick for a long time. Much longer than you've had him.

I encourage you to reflect and realize that you did everything you could and that you made a difference in this creatures life. He died knowing people cared for him which is more than some get.

Maybe in the future you can buy a dragon from a reputable breeder who sells healthy dragons and really get to enjoy this hobby.

I sincerely hope you don't give up on these guys.

-Brandon
Thank you. I just feel really defeated and at a loss

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really sorry to hear this, I am almost certain that it was ADV. He had the symptoms, but did not suffer for a long time. There is nothing that a vet could have done, some dragons survive but most babies don't. My heart goes out to you. :(

ChristGilley

Original Poster
The vet I took Drogon to when his liver started failing knows some local breeders. I'll get some info from him and start looking into my options. I don't want to ship because it can be so expensive but I'm also worried that breeders are going to be expensive. I looked around online and people were wanting hundreds of dollars for their dragons. Which is fine for people who can afford that, but I can't justify that kind of spending for a bearded dragon. Does anyone have any info about breeder prices? I imagine they vary extremely from breeder to breeder but just kind of a baseline

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some of the best dragons for the best prices are from Dachiu dragons or Dragons Den herp. Two of the longest running breeders in the U.S.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
AHBD":3t506mp2 said:
Some of the best dragons for the best prices are from Dachiu dragons or Dragons Den herp. Two of the longest running breeders in the U.S.
They are beautiful dragons... But man, that's still a lot of money. I know you get a much better quality guarantee for the price and they will have much healthier dragons. I will see what breeders the vet suggests and do some care comparison as well as price comparison. I don't want another sick baby but I also can't justify spending $200 + shipping on a bearded dragon right now. Thank you for the info though, I really like the Dachiu dragons, they are the best looking dragons I've seen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I got moro from daichu. Tombo from kids and dragons. Both were great to deal with. Usually breeders do post pretty expensive ones as that's what sells well, but occasionally I've seen some good breeders listing dragons in the hundred buck range. I'll keep an eye out for you.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear your dragon passed away. :cry: A loss like that is very difficult. You did
everything you could & I agree, I feel strongly it was adenovirus. A lot of them become ill
quickly & unfortunately just don't make it.

Tracie

ChristGilley

Original Poster
Drache613":3lpif6a9 said:
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear your dragon passed away. :cry: A loss like that is very difficult. You did
everything you could & I agree, I feel strongly it was adenovirus. A lot of them become ill
quickly & unfortunately just don't make it.

Tracie
Thank you. I keep looking over at the empty tank expecting to see him hanging out but it's just dark and empty. I have a fish tank but my room feels so empty now. Like I'm alone. It's going to be a while before I can even start looking at a new beardie so it's going to be a rough time for a little bit. I'm so mad that they just took him from me. Wouldn't even let me bury him next to Drogon. Knowing them, they're just going to throw him in the trash and he doesn't belong there. Now that I've made myself cry for the 3rd time today, I'm going to try and get my mind off the past 2 days

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry that it seems so overwhelming right now. How did they keep your dragon, it's your baby ? BTW, Dachiu usually has a bigger selection and a variety of prices, it changes almost every week. You might also check local adds for unwanted dragons that could use a good home.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
AHBD":sx1kq630 said:
I'm sorry that it seems so overwhelming right now. How did they keep your dragon, it's your baby ? BTW, Dachiu usually has a bigger selection and a variety of prices, it changes almost every week. You might also check local adds for unwanted dragons that could use a good home.
I had to take him in to "prove" that he actually died. And they just took him from me and told me they couldn't let me take him back home

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have been following this thread and was saddened :( to hear about JoJo--- sometimes they are too sick to save--- dont beat your self up --- you learned alot from this so take that as something for in the future--- if and when you decide to get another dragon you can take what you have learned from here and know what to look for etc.............. its hard when they are just babies --- again I feel your pain
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom